Surprise NT Scan Today

iVillage Member
Surprise NT Scan Today
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 5:17pm

It's just great when you walk into a doctor's office with absolutely no clue why you're there, isn't it?

Earlier this week, I was referred to a high risk OB, and today was my first appointment. I wasn't at all aware of the referral until I got the call to schedule the appointment, and even then, I was told "it's just a consultation." Well, I guess "consultation" means NT scan. So, between the tech, the med student, and the doctor, I got to watch our little one on screen for a good hour, and at the end of the appointment, the doctor let me know gender with a 95% certainty (that was a surprise). He said he'll be able to tell me with 98% certainty when he sees me again in 4 weeks (this jumping back & forth between 2 doctors might kill me), and then it should be confirmed at my 20 week anatomy scan (assuming we don't have more invasive testing in between). But for now, we have a healthy ______ in there with no signs of any abnormalities.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 6:12pm
Glad to hear that the baby looks healthy! I'm jealous you got to find out the gender already! I'm trying to patiently wait. :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 9:13am
A) GREAT that you got to see the bean again!!! B) Weird that you didn't know about this consultation? C) TELL US! Boy or girl? How fun :smileyhappy:
Collyn 9 mo siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 10:08am

Well that is pretty crazy you had a surprise NT scan! 

Can I ask, could you see the gender on the ultrasound?  Obviously the doctor could but I have heard that this early on, girls can look like boys and vice versa so only experienced doctors and techs can tell.  I ask because we did the NT scan and we are planning on not finding out the gender but one of the pictures they gave us from the ultrasound is a 'potty shot' (Like imagine a butt sitting on a potty and the potty taking a picture from below) and it looks girl.  So now I am wondering if I know the gender now or if it is still up in the air.  I don't want to know, but I am worried we found out anyway :-(  Does this make any sense? 

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 12:16pm
Wow, I'd be pretty surprised to walk into the office not knowing that I was getting a NT scan! Now I really want to know what you're having!!!! I'm jealous and haven't even had an US yet to see my baby. I just know that they said it was pretty active when they were trying to hear the HB on Tuesday!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 4:02pm

I'm really not one to ask about seeing the gender! The day we found out our son was a son, I was positive I'd seen girl parts on the screen. So, obviously, I'm not too good at recognizing much beyond the major parts like the head, arms, legs, and torso. That being said, the doctor showed me on a screen shot exactly how he could tell the likely the gender, and it had almost nothing to do with seeing boy or girl parts. Instead it was the angle of pelvic development (or something like that; I was still reeling too much from the surprise to pay that much attention).

Anyway... it looks like we'll be welcoming Oliver Thomas in February.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 10:30am

Ha, well that is interesting!  I appreciate the info.  I have been googling "gender development in pregnancy" and apparently both boys and girls have a wee-wee for lack of better terms at first and the U/S techs have to look at the "angle of the dangle" (this is seriously what these sites said, their words not mine) to tell boy or girl so I am happy, it appears that we still don't know what we are having, although I am still thinking girl.  :-)

Photobucket