Asher 1/8/13

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-13-2011
Asher 1/8/13
Tue, 01-29-2013 - 7:23pm

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

I woke up at about 2am with mild contractions.  They were different from the ones I had been experiencing over the previous days, so I got out of bed and started timing them.  I still hadn't put the hospital's number into my phone, so I was standing at the bookshelf digging through my baby information at about 3:30am when I felt a small gush.  It was only a little bit of fluid and I knew only 10% of ladies experience their water breaking, so I wasn't convinced that it was my water breaking. Suddenly I went from feeling quite calm to being very nervous! I called the hospital and they said there's no way to know for sure if my water had broken without them testing and that I should go in sometime around 6am.  The contractions slowed for a while so I went back to bed to try to get some rest (it didn't work!).  The contractions started again and I had a little more leaking of fluids, but nothing to convince me it was my water broken.  By 5am, the contractions were slighly more painful, so I got in the shower and started getting things together to go to the hospital.  Not feeling a huge sense of urgency, we ended up getting to the hospital around 8am.  They strapped on the monitors and tested the fluid, and it was indeed amniotoc fluid.  I knew then I'd be admitted and was told I'd have a baby that day. 


The doctor got to the hospital around noon and finished breaking my water (it must've broken up high, so that's why it was only leaking small amounts).  I was progressing fairly slowly still, so they started a low dose of pitocin.  The contractions got extremely uncomfortable after a while and I asked for the epidural.  It was magical.  I could feel when I was having contractions, but had no more pain (thank the lord!).  I ended up starting to push sometime after 6pm.  Baby's heart rate kept dropping during the contractions so they put me on oxygin but they were still getting concerned about the dipping of the rate.  He was almost out but didn't want to make his way into the world.  A nurse had brought in a consent for a c-section, so I knew the situation was getting more serious.  When doc asked if we were ok with a small cut and the suction, we agreed in order to avoid a section.  2-3 contractions later, our little boy was born!


Asher Arlen was born at 7:32pm on January 8.  He weighed 6lbs 8oz and was 19" long.  He was healthy and perfect. I love seeing DH as a daddy and I've teared up several times just from looking into little Asher's sweet face.  He's absolutely amazing.


Upload a File: 


Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-25-2010
In reply to: noelsgal
Tue, 01-29-2013 - 9:15pm

Soooooooo adorable! He's a cutie!! Lovely birth story. Way to go, mama!


<a href="http://s774.p

Community Leader
Registered: 01-22-2010
In reply to: noelsgal
Wed, 01-30-2013 - 1:13pm

He is so cute! I can't believe your baby was more than 3lb smaller than mine! lol!

Avatar for j8songrl
iVillage Member
Registered: 09-02-2003
In reply to: noelsgal
Wed, 01-30-2013 - 6:46pm

Congratulations and what a great birth story! Such a handsome little guy. I'm glad you're labor wasn't that too long and you were able to avoid a c-section. How are your stitches healing? How's mommy life?

I still have stitches after a month. I can relate to tearing up over seeing DH being a dad. I decided to be a SAHM because I don't want to miss anything (he's only this small once) and I can always go back to work, but will never get this time with him again.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers


Avatar for duchessdina
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-08-2011
In reply to: noelsgal
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 3:00pm
Diane, I'm so glad everything went well for you! It's crazy how old he is already! Congratulations!