Childcare?

iVillage Member
Childcare?
Fri, 11-09-2012 - 8:55pm

How long are you taking for maternity leave? Who do you plan to watch your child when/if you go back to work?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
In reply to: dad1976
Wed, 11-14-2012 - 9:16am

I'm the youngest of 6 (by 12 years).  All of my siblings and their families live between 4 and about 20 hours drive away.  My parents live about 16 hours away.  My in-laws only had 2 girls (wife & sis-in-law) and my sis-in-law isn't married yet so our kids will be their only grandkids for the forseeable future.

My wife did arrange to meet with a couple of potential sitters from SitterCity.com before actually asking them to babysit.  She wanted to see how they interacted with our daughter.  The first one hit it off with our daughter instantly.  The 2nd one was a no call/no show (needless to say we won't be using her services).  Luckily the sitter that hit it off with our daugther does have experience with infants as well, so she should work out well with our son after he arrives.

iVillage Member
In reply to: j8songrl
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 5:33pm
I'm glad that your situation worked itself out and your wife was able to be home with your daughter. Thanks for the website suggestions. We live in a two family house with my in laws, so they will probably be our go-to babysitter. DH is an only child and our child(ren) will be their only grandkids, so I'm sure they won't mind. Plus, we have extended family that lives pretty close as well.

iVillage Member
In reply to: dad1976
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 11:39am

My wife has been doing the SAHM thing since about 6 weeks before our daughter was born back in 2009.  Unfortunately, her company got bought out by another company and all but 2 of her coworkers were let go at the time.  But that turned out to be a blessing in disguise because she much prefers staying at home with our daughter.  

We recently found an awesome babysitter through SitterCity.com to watch our daughter (and son after he arrives) from time to time so we can have ocassional date nights (instead of having to rely on my in-laws availability all the time for that).  

If you're looking for for a Nanny that a sitter I've heard care.com is a good resource as well.  They do background checks on the sitters and nannies who sign up on their site.  It's a pay site (they have to pay for those background checks after all).    

iVillage Member
In reply to: j8songrl
Fri, 11-09-2012 - 8:58pm

I get eight weeks. Two of which I have to use my vacation time, so I receive a full check after the baby comes. Then I get 6 weeks of STD. Originally, DH was going to be home with the baby since he works from home, so I could at least finish the year out with my students, but he's talking about getting a job outside of the home, which means I have two options 1) stay at home, which is what I want anyway (and he prefers) 2) pay someone to watch our son just so I can finish out the year with my students, which seems fair for my students, but I have to do what's best for my family. So... I'm torn.