Finally!

Community Leader
Finally!
Sun, 01-20-2013 - 5:07am

My little girl is here! Jemima Lily arrived at 10pm on Thurs 17th Jan weighing 9lb 12oz!

I woke with contractions on Thurs mornin but they weren't progressing much so by lunch time I decided to go shopping in the hopes bein on my feet would have a positive result. While I was out I went to the toilet and had a show then when we got back at approx 4pm the contractions started gettin a lot stronger. The weather here has been very wintry recently and it started snowing around tea time so decided not to wait too long to get to the hospital so I rang L&D at approx 6.30pm when the contractions were 4-6 minutes apart and was told the department was closed as they had no beds! So instead of having a 7 minute drive, we had to go to a hospital I'd never been to before that was 30-40 minutes away, in the snow!

We arrived at the hospital at approx 7.15pm and I was 6cm. I used Entonox with great effect (laughing gas Laughing) and was fully dilated by 9.30pm. I was worried about having a further 3rd degree tear and was a bit reluctant to push too hard (much to the midwife's frustration!) so she gave me a small episiotomy and my little girl arrived at exactly 10pm. 

She was much bigger than we expected, I knew she was gonna be bigger than DS who was 7lb 5oz but didn't expect her to be 9lb 12oz! Even the placenta was huge and it took DH 3 cuts to get thru the umbilical cord! She's been takin formula an ounce or two at a time and I plan to give her expressed milk once my milk comes in. Got home this morning, I did have slightly more bleeding than they like to see otherwise I would have been home within 6 hours and today I'm aching lots and feel like my insides have been rearranged but she obviously was takin up a huge amount of space, my muscles must be wrecked! 

Here's a couple of pics of my chunky monkey.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/sheepgobaa/P1170038_zpse467b3af.jpg

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/sheepgobaa/P1180043_zps7b6accc3.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 12:05am
Congratulations!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 10:19am
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl!!! Welcome to the world, Jemima. :)

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 4:48am

I think it's too soon to tell. DH has 2 weeks off work so makes it easier for now but I'm sure will be a very different story when I'm on my own all day. DS is at the age at the minute where he happily plays with his toys without needin too much attention tho he does have his moments and DD (first time I've referred to her as that!) still sleeps all the time so time will tell!

iVillage Member
In reply to: j8songrl
Mon, 01-21-2013 - 10:38pm

That sounds really sweet. Do you think it's hard adjusting to mommy of two vs. one? And... do you think it's harder having them so close in age?

I'm just asking because while I love my son, the newborn phase is exhauting. DH and I are going to use condoms, so we don't get pregnant again right away. I'm thinking a 3 year age gap would be nice because I would be 31 then and DS would be in preschool PT (and hopefully potty trained) and that would give me the option to have another in 3 years if I wanted (or could talk DH into it- I'll probably barely get a 2nd one out of him) and I'll be 34 (if that happens), so still not too old. My sister and I are 11-months apart and I don't know how my mom did it! My cousin had her kids 18 months apart and I originally liked that age gap, but now going through the newborn phase, I don't think I could handle a newborn and toddler. I know as they get older it's nice to have them closer together.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Community Leader
Sun, 01-20-2013 - 12:54pm

He's doin really well. We bought him a doll as a present from the baby and he sits with the doll on his knee, very sweet! He also likes to just walk past her and check she's still there with a big smile on his face. Last night we went up to bed and DS was goin to sleep between us in the bed and every time the baby made a noise he copied!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-20-2013 - 9:46am

I couldn't open the picture links, but I'm sure she's a cutie! Wow, that's a quick labor! Sorry, it didn't go exactly the way planned, but that's babies for you, lol. I hope you have a quick  recovery, the first week is rough and I'm sure especially for you after having a baby that big, but at least you know she's healthy! How's your son adjusting to the baby?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers