Heirloom gifts for baby

iVillage Member
Heirloom gifts for baby
Wed, 11-14-2012 - 9:40am

Shortly after my daughter was born I bought her an antique music box with a dancing couple.  The music box played Strauss's Tales From the Vienna Woods.  The idea being that she'll be able to pass the music box along to a daughter of her own someday.  I'd like to get my son a similar heirloom gift however, I already have a couple heirlooms of my own that were passed on to me that I'll be able to pass on to my son someday.  My grandmother gave me a piggy bank that was/is a bust of General John Pershing (dated 1918) that had been given to her by her younger brother and my father has an old flintlock rifle from 1813 that had been my great-great-great-great grandfather's been passed down through 5 generations on my fathers' side.  My father has already said that will pass to me when he passes away.

So, I guess my question is... Are either of the heirlooms that I already have/will be getting sufficient or should I get something new for my son that he'll be able to someday pass on to his kids/grandkids? 

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-22-2012 - 12:19pm

I think the fact that you're even thinking about an heirloom gift is awesome. I think what you already have is great!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers