kodak moment

iVillage Member
kodak moment
Tue, 12-25-2012 - 3:39pm

hello everyone!! i just wanted to post a lil blip on here cuz i wish someone would have told me something when i had my first child...after your child is born, you expect this big kodak moment. you expect to look into the face of your child and you guys will click. you see it on tv and movies, you read about it in books, everything is perfect...reality-it may not happen that way. with my first, they said it was a girl, i called her by her name and the only thing i could think after that was "okay-now what do i do???" this baby is its own person-you need to get to know him/her, their personality, their quirks. dont be scared to admit a few things-you are human, you need to eat, to sleep, to bathe...ask for help. dont try to take it all by yourself. no one is going to think less of you if you admit "im having a rough time-i cant do this by myself." give your body time to recover...and your emotions too. your hormones are going to be out of whack-its going to affect your moods, your outlook, everything. if you start to feel sad all the time, if you start to withdraw, call someone. if you have to-call your doctor or the hospital. my sister had horrible post partum depression both times-she needed meds to help get her over the hump. i had ppd with my first...but not with my 2nd. i was on meds for bipolar disorder during the 1st 8 weeks of my pregnancy. i dont plan to go back on them-unless i need them. if i need them-i will go back on them. theres nothing wrong with taking meds either if you need them. remember you are a mother, but youre not superwoman...you are human...again you might not have that instant bond when your child is born-it will come, it just takes time. and if you have that kodak moment and no problems afterward, thats great... everyone is different, every baby is different...good luck to you all:)
JOANNE 

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-19-2013 - 5:21pm

Thanks for sharing. Nothing can fully prepare for motherhood- no amount of experience (with others kids), reading books/articles, watching shows, hearing others stories etc.

I didn't expect to be in as much pain (and feel so helpless) the first week as I did. It's been three weeks now and seeing pictures of myself that first week I look like I've been hit by a truck with dark circles (from lack of sleep), messed up hair, spit up on clothes, etc.

There was a great article circulating through FB- I'll attach the link here...

http://www.scarymommy.com/a-letter-to-my-pregnant-child-less-self/

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers