Most Popular Boy Name EVER Is...

iVillage Member
Most Popular Boy Name EVER Is...
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 3:46pm

When it comes to baby names, there's the trendy, of-the-moment class of monikers (see: "Mason" and anything Twilight-inspired) and the classic, even old-fashioned granny names. But there's one that has managed to be both for the past 100 years.

William.

Surprised? According to Yahoo, the name William stands the test of time. Baby name data from the Social Security Administration shows that it ranked number two for boys in 1911 -- and ranked number three in 2011. Perhaps more impressive: During those 100 years, the namehas never fallen out of the top 20!

I really like the name William!  Anyone considering and/or planning to use the name William for this baby?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 4:34pm

I'm so pleased we didn't call our son that! We considered it when DH's grandfather who was called William passed away a few weeks before DS was born. I hate really popular names, I was most put off when my nephew said that he had 3 boys in his class at school call William!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 8:29am

we defeinitely like names that are different, william has never been on our list lol. i like that my kids *should* be the only ones in school with their names. im nicole and dh is joshua, so we both had it where lots of people had our names lol

springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182