New Mom Pressure?

iVillage Member
New Mom Pressure?
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 9:56am

Of course, there’s always been competition. Put ten mothers and their babies in a room together and inevitably the comparisons will start. Whose baby is rolling already — which baby is smiling or gurgling?

But back in the day, you could leave that room and those comments and comparisons behind. Now there are millions of websites (some dangerously inaccurate, unscientific and ill-informed) telling you what your baby is failing to achieve.

When I became a young mother, the only activity to do with a baby was to put it in a pram and go for a walk. Now there’s every class imaginable — each promising to enrich your baby’s experiences and even expand their intellect.

There’s baby gymnastics, baby music classes, baby yoga, baby massage, baby swimming, baby dance, baby pottery, baby cinema and baby sign language.

The pressure any new mother faces is enormous.

How have you felt since baby arrived?  Are you already feeling pressure about baby's milestones? How do you keep out all the voices telling you what you should/shouldn't be doing with/for baby?

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Thu, 03-14-2013 - 4:24am

I felt the pressure with DS for him to be doin things at a certain time and for me to be teachin him or doin certain things but I soon learnt that that isn't how it works, he did things in his own time and will continue to. My attitude is the same with DD, I can't force her to learn things quicker just because someone else's baby did, and I'm yet to meet a 3 year old who can't walk, talk, eat, etc.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-13-2013 - 8:00pm

I feel confident in my abilities and decisions I have made as his mother are the best for him. I am willing to hear how other people did things as long as they don't pressure me about it because then I will speak up. It's natural for anyone who's already been through what you're going through to want to offer advice because I know I do it too with people who are pregnant.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers