nursery status?

iVillage Member
nursery status?
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 10:47am

i'd love to hear where everyone is at with their nursery planning/decorating.

we've been in the new house for three weeks now and haven't done much at all.  i have several items of borrowed baby gear that are just sitting in the room that wil become the nursery.  we bought a 4' stuffed giraffe last weekend (it's so cute!).  i ordered a crib (davinci kalani in espresso) and a crib mattress last night, so now i'm super excited for that to come in.

we're going with a classic/traditional type theme for the nursery, kind of to match the feel of the house (built in 1920 with tons of character still intact). but don't have a ton of details worked out just yet.  i have several ideas pinned on pinterest and will just have to see what i can find that guides me in the process.

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 3:42pm
Well, I have fabric picked out for the bedding. Were doing a monster theme :smileyhappy: and I know how I want the walls to be.... Grey on the bottom light blue on top with white chair rail. We are using our same crib as dd, its black. We only havr 2 bedrooms so we are actually switching rooms and giving the kids the bigger bedroom. For our stuff to fit, we actually have to make the 2nd bedroom bigger. It will still be smaller than the other room lol. so, we have to move a wall, which will make the living room smaller, but moving isnt an option. So were doin what we have to. Who knows when all this will actually happen. I dont even know where to begin.
springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 4:40pm
Wow, that sounds like a ton if work!
We just moved from a 4br to a 3br. Would like to have that extra room back for sure, but the new area is totally worth it. Good luck with your construction!

Diane

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 10:11pm

lol yes, its going to be a ton of work! and we have so much furniture. im not sure where its all going. and honestly, i cant bear to part with any of it. we use it all. its going to be close quarters lol

springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 7:50am

We were hopin to move house before this little one arrives but doesn't look like it's gonna happen so we're plannin on doin some work round the house, paintin a few rooms and settin nursery up when I leave work which I hope to do in 6 weeks. That gives us plenty timee, right? As long as she doesn't arrive early!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:52am
nickie, good luck with finding space for everything!
leila, we just moved 3 weeks ago. still getting settled, but we're getting close. it's a TON of work, and we've vowed to never move again! :smileywink: you're lucky to be able to plan on being done with work early. i'm just hoping i won't be at the office when i go into labor!

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:56am

England is amazing for maternity leave! With DS I worked til 36 weeks, got 6 weeks of 90% wage then a fixed weekly wage for 33 weeks. This time I'm gonna work til 30 weeks ( we can choose to leave at any point from 29 weeks onward and with havin a toddler think the earlier the better this time!) and I'll get 39 weeks at 90% wage. The money is different this time because I worked 4 days last time only work 2 now so if I got the fixed weekly wage if would be more than 90% of my usual wage so that's why I get 90% for the whole maternity leave.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:03am
forgot to post a link to the crib we got. it looks so pretty and i can't wait to get it delivered and assembled! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2932217

leila, you're so lucky! maternity leave in the states can really suck, as it's really determined by individual employers.

i get 6wks short term disability. the first week of that is really me using sick time, then i'll get 5 weeks at about 60% pay. that's IT... :smileysad: boo.

i've also been saving my vacation and sick days to lengthen my leave. i took one day off to move and i'm taking one day off in december to be in my SIL's wedding. other than that, no vacation days taken since i found out i was pregnant! that'll bring me an additional 4 weeks, for a total of 10 weeks off. unfortunately, it'll only leave me with a couple days of PTO until i accrue some more, so hopefully the baby will be super healthy!

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:07am

That's so tough, I don't know how you ladies do it. I cried when I went back to work after DS and he was 9 months old, to have had to leave him at just weeks old would have killed me.

That crib is gorgeous!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:11am
i know. i can't even imagine dropping a 6-wk old baby at daycare. 10 weeks doesn't seem a ton better. DH might take a little time at home (maybe a week?) after i go back to work. if we can afford it, i'm hoping to find someone to do in-home care for us until baby is just a little bit bigger. we shall see.

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:19am

It must be so hard to successfully BF too, I bottled fed DS breast milk for 4 1/2 months but I could never have expressed as often as I needed to if I'd gone back to work. I'm hopin to do the same again this time but I know it's gonna be a ton harder with havin a toddler so just hopin to be able to do it for 6w or so to give little boy the best start I can

Photobucket

Pages