nursery status?

iVillage Member
nursery status?
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 10:47am

i'd love to hear where everyone is at with their nursery planning/decorating.

we've been in the new house for three weeks now and haven't done much at all.  i have several items of borrowed baby gear that are just sitting in the room that wil become the nursery.  we bought a 4' stuffed giraffe last weekend (it's so cute!).  i ordered a crib (davinci kalani in espresso) and a crib mattress last night, so now i'm super excited for that to come in.

we're going with a classic/traditional type theme for the nursery, kind of to match the feel of the house (built in 1920 with tons of character still intact). but don't have a ton of details worked out just yet.  i have several ideas pinned on pinterest and will just have to see what i can find that guides me in the process.

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:37am

You'll probably find that once you've got into a routine wth BF at home you'll not even think about it when you do it in public, it'll just  be natural to you

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:32am
our building gives us access to an empty suite. it's not plush or beautiful, but it's a private space with a lock on the door. nice to not have to sit in a bathroom stall.

i'm not quite sure yet how i'll feel about BFing in public. i have a hooter hider from a friend. i'm not overly shy or modest, but i definitely don't need to show any boob to strangers. covered might be fine enough for me.

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:29am

That's good. I'm not the type of person that could get a boob out in front of people to feed, I'd be one of these sat on the toilet to feed when out n about, so bein able to put it in a bottle was great. The pumpin is time takin but when I was feelin fed up, I had a fridge magnet that said 'every day counts' and that would spur me on to do another day and another day until unfortunately i dried up

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:26am
i have no idea. the whole concept of becoming a food source seems so strange to me! i do have a nice breast pump and will plan to use that as much as i can for as long as seems fit (maybe 6 months or so?). at least we do have the law in minnesota that employers must allow mothers time to pump. not all states have even that.

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:19am

It must be so hard to successfully BF too, I bottled fed DS breast milk for 4 1/2 months but I could never have expressed as often as I needed to if I'd gone back to work. I'm hopin to do the same again this time but I know it's gonna be a ton harder with havin a toddler so just hopin to be able to do it for 6w or so to give little boy the best start I can

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:11am
i know. i can't even imagine dropping a 6-wk old baby at daycare. 10 weeks doesn't seem a ton better. DH might take a little time at home (maybe a week?) after i go back to work. if we can afford it, i'm hoping to find someone to do in-home care for us until baby is just a little bit bigger. we shall see.

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:07am

That's so tough, I don't know how you ladies do it. I cried when I went back to work after DS and he was 9 months old, to have had to leave him at just weeks old would have killed me.

That crib is gorgeous!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:03am
forgot to post a link to the crib we got. it looks so pretty and i can't wait to get it delivered and assembled! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2932217

leila, you're so lucky! maternity leave in the states can really suck, as it's really determined by individual employers.

i get 6wks short term disability. the first week of that is really me using sick time, then i'll get 5 weeks at about 60% pay. that's IT... :smileysad: boo.

i've also been saving my vacation and sick days to lengthen my leave. i took one day off to move and i'm taking one day off in december to be in my SIL's wedding. other than that, no vacation days taken since i found out i was pregnant! that'll bring me an additional 4 weeks, for a total of 10 weeks off. unfortunately, it'll only leave me with a couple days of PTO until i accrue some more, so hopefully the baby will be super healthy!

Diane

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:56am

England is amazing for maternity leave! With DS I worked til 36 weeks, got 6 weeks of 90% wage then a fixed weekly wage for 33 weeks. This time I'm gonna work til 30 weeks ( we can choose to leave at any point from 29 weeks onward and with havin a toddler think the earlier the better this time!) and I'll get 39 weeks at 90% wage. The money is different this time because I worked 4 days last time only work 2 now so if I got the fixed weekly wage if would be more than 90% of my usual wage so that's why I get 90% for the whole maternity leave.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:52am
nickie, good luck with finding space for everything!
leila, we just moved 3 weeks ago. still getting settled, but we're getting close. it's a TON of work, and we've vowed to never move again! :smileywink: you're lucky to be able to plan on being done with work early. i'm just hoping i won't be at the office when i go into labor!

Diane

Pages