Preparing Siblings for Baby!

iVillage Member
Preparing Siblings for Baby!
Tue, 10-30-2012 - 9:54am

The relationship between siblings is one that lasts a lifetime, and preparing children for the birth of a new baby is an important beginning.

Preparing siblings for new baby- http://www.ivillage.com/preparing-siblings-new-baby/6-a-129287?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

How have you been preparing your older child(ren) for baby?  Are you concerned about how they will do once baby arrives?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 10:10am

My daughter was convinced she was going to have a little sister.  So the first thing we did to prepare was that we decided to find out the gender (with our daughter we didn't find out until her birth).  We wanted to make sure that if we were having a son we'd have time to prepare her for a little brother instead of a little sister.  

Since discovering in August that we're having a boy we've been reinforcing that.  We've enrolled her in a 1-day "sibling" class through the hospital and asked her for some input on names for her baby brother.  Luckily some of the other little girls in my wife's SAHMs group have had little boys after having little girls so my daughter has been getting some valuable experience with the little brothers of her friends from her play group.  She's actually been very helpful with some of the other moms at play group get togethers.  She's played with the little boys and fetched bottles for those moms so they could feed their boys.  If she's that good with the little brothers of her friends, I'm not too worried about her being that good with her own little brother.