Ricky's Arrival- December 30, 2012

iVillage Member
Ricky's Arrival- December 30, 2012
Sat, 01-19-2013 - 5:14pm

I lost my mucus plug on Saturday, December 29 at 10pm and the contractions started right after that, followed by diarhea. Of course, I didn't realize they were contractions at first or that I was in labor. You hear stories of people who loose their mucus plug and not go into labor for another week. The contractions started out in my back and wrapped around to my pelvis, but they felt like mild period cramps (just enough to make you uncomfortable). After about an hour of that, we decided to time them and sure enough they were consistently 7-10 minutes apart and lasting 30 seconds each and getting stronger. We decided to use the time to get some last minute things done. At 3am, we called the on-call doctor with contractions 3-5 minutes apart, but still only lasting 30 seconds and she told us to go to the hospital to get checked. I was only 1cm dilated and 70% thin, which is what I had been at that weeks OB appointment. They confirmed I was in early labor, but informed me that could last days, so at 6am they sent me home with a 5mg Vicodin to try help me sleep. Of course, it didn't do anything and at that point my contractions were coming 3 minutes apart and getting stronger. I tried walking to help, squatting to help and a shower, but they were getting stronger and closer together. At 11am, I told DH we NEEDED to go back to the hospital. I ended up having about 7 contractions during the 15 minute car ride and 5 contractions walking from the hospital parking to the entrance. I was telling him I didn't know why people would choose to have kids and go through that kind of pain... I was so stupid for putting myself through that... and never again! DH grabbed me a wheel chair as soon as we got inside and at that point I was in tears from the pain. I begged the nurse to let me stay even if I was only 1cm still because I couldn't imagine more pain then I was already in. Luckily, I was 5cm dilated and 100% thin, so I was admitted. They wheeled me right up to labor and delivery and I got the IV around noon. At 1pm, they checked me again and I was 7cm dilated and then I received the epidural- my lfesaver! I was thanking the anesthesiologist and telling her how amazing she was. I shook really bad- a side effect from the epidural, but I ended up taking a 2 hour nap, which was nice. I was able to feel my feet (felt tingly like they were asleep), but nothing below my hips otherwise. As soon as I woke up from my nap, I threw up 5 times on myself, which caused some of my water to break. It was gross too because I ate fried bologna sandwhiches at 9pm night before. I always throw up when I get an IV. They checked me again at 4 when I woke up and I was 10cm, so they broke the rest of my water (had meconium in it) and told me I'll be ready to push around 5 (they had to get everything set up and the doctor ready). I wanted them to turn off/turn down the epidural so I could feel to push, but they advised against it and told me just to try like it was because 1st time moms can push for an hour or two. I started pusing at 5:15pm (or at least hoping what I was doing was pushing since I couldn't feel anything). My contractions were 2 minutes long, so the nurse had me push four times between contractions and at 5:52pm on Sunday, December 30 (four days early) Richard "Ricky" Golden arrived after 19 hours of labor (14 1/2 w/o the epidural and about 35 minutes of pushing). He was 20 3/4" long and 8lbs 2 oz. Dh fed me ice-chips, held my leg and actually watched him come out (he said he would never do).

I had such amazing and doctors at the hospital! There is no privacy what so ever at the hospital, but that's the last thing you think about. You need help to go the restroom (which looks like a murder scene), nurses to help you breastfeed (I tried it for a week, but couldn't keep up with what the baby was eating/how often), different nurses checking you down there throughout our stay, etc. I ended up tearing both sides of my labia and had to have stitches and got a hemrhoid from pushing, so the first week was REALLY bad. I could barely get out of bed and it hurt to sit or walk- the only comfortable position was laying down on my back. Also, I just wanted to add that I know the standard answer is you bleed for 4-6 weeks after birth, but I only bled one and spotted the second. My husband took 90% of the load the first week. We're fortunate enough that he works from home right now while I am on maternity leave (he's getting a job outside of the house in March/April since I'm not returning back to work), but now, I'm definitely taking on 90%, which if that's my new role I'm okay with it. I love my baby, he' so cuddly and loves to be held! DH that whole first week kept saying this is it, I hope you're happy, we're done, etc. I know some of that was from exhaustion, frustrastion (since I couldn't really help), adjusting to this new life, etc. Plus, he's an only child and values his independence. I always said four kids, he always said two, so we settled on three. Now, after experiencing pregnancy loss, pregnancy, labor/delivery and being parents I don't think I can do it more than one more time. I wanted to have them about 2 years apart, too, but now I'm thinking 3-4 years (especially if I only have one more). That way Ricky will be in preschool and I can give another baby the attention it needs without him feeling jealous or left out. I know too that was a little spoiled this pregnancy with DH working from home he was able to go to all my doctors appointments and be home with me the first couple of months. In a way, I still feel in my heart I would like to have three, but it's a lot of work/effort/constant fussing with one, so I can't imagine trying to divide my attention so much. I definitely don't want my marriage to suffer (lack of attention to DH b/c of how many kids we have). We're going to use condoms for birth control now since we definitely don't want another anytime soon.

Ricky will be three weeks old tomorrow and he outgrew his newborn clothes (lengthwise) after two weeks. He's still in newborn diapers though. He lost his umbilical cord when he was 13 days old. He's already holding his head up pretty good. DH said I made a superbaby with the six different vitamins was on during my pregnancy. Ricky loves his bouncy, to be swaddled and to be cuddled. He hates wet diapers, baths, his swing and crib. He doesn't mind dirty diapers. He sleeps four hour blocks at night and about 2-3 during the day. He's staying up more now during the day, too. He just started taking 3oz of formula two days ago (he was on 2oz since he was born). When we went to the peditrician a week after he was born he already re-gained the half pound he lost in the hospital and grew 1/4". He was average for head circumference and weight and above average for length!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-22-2013 - 10:22am
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boy! Welcome to the world, Ricky! :)

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-21-2013 - 10:30pm

Thank you! Yes, definitely appreciate the work the nurses/doctors have to do! And.. yes, I love my cuddly baby. MIL and DH thinks I spoiled him by placing him on my chest because now that's the only way he likes to lay. But I think he knows what he likes and how can you spoil a 3-week old baby?!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-20-2013 - 5:05am

Congratultions! I'm so pleased your little man arrived safely and you are startin to feel more human. Yup dignity goes completely out the window when have a baby, makes you appreciate the work the staff do more, it isn't all cuddly babies!