Spring chit-chat

iVillage Member
Spring chit-chat
Sun, 04-07-2013 - 2:17pm

I wanted to start a spring chit-chat to discuss goings on in family or mommy life. This board has been so quiet because of the changes and I'm hoping people will start coming back if they see we at least have one active discussion.

Does anyone have spring vacation planned?

How's your LO doing?

Are you working or SAHM? If you returned back to work, how has it been transitioning back to work after baby? If you are a SAHM, how has your life changed since your LO's arrival?

Do you plan to have any more children? If so, how when do you plan to TTC again?

How many children do you have? How old are they? How are they transitioning to the baby?

What toys does your baby play with?

Anything else you want to share?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-13-2013 - 11:54am

I was wondering if you'd start or not. That's a good thing, though, right?! Plus, weren't you breastfeeding? I only BF for a week because I couldn't keep up with how often Ricky was eating and it still took me 8 1/2 weeks to start the first one.

I hope you had a great Mother's Day! I've been working with Ricky to get him to sit up unsupported and holding his own bottle- he's doing okay with both, but he has some work to do, lol. I've been trying to find the dang jumperoo, but they don't keep them in stores, I have to order it online, so I have to wait another week+ for that- grr... tummy/floor time isn't cutting it anymore. Plus, I've been trying to transition Ricky to his crib at least for naps. He does okay with it, but usually wakes up half way through and I have to pat him until he goes back to sleep- I'm having a hard time letting him self soothe. He's still sleeping in his swing at night, but for some reason it didn't swing last night- maybe he's too heavy? He's 16 1/2lbs and 26in and in 6-9 month clothes now. Oh and he rolled over from his back to his belly last week, but then he gets stuck in his belly and get frustruated, which is funny because he learned to roll over from his belly to his back at 2 months. He's been reaching/grabbing at toys for weeks now, but it's cool to see that skill develop. I got him one of those starter cups with handles to teach him to hold his bottle better. Our doctor gave us the "go ahead" on starting solids (Ricky is 19 weeks now), but I'm going to wait one more week. I am going to make his baby food though. Also, they have baby pictures at the movies for moms so you can enjoy current movies and take your baby- it's only once a month, but I was thinking about taking Ricky for something different.

I hope all is well with you!

Community Leader
Sun, 05-12-2013 - 4:29pm

The witch arrived on Fri! 16 weeks and 1 day post delivery!

Community Leader
Sat, 05-04-2013 - 7:39am

Nope the witch never arrived!

I've attached the pic I was tellin you about. Your little man is so cute, he's gettin so big!

I've been tryin to get out a bit more recently too, especially now the weather is improving. We're currently doin some work in the garden but once that is done will get Jemima out on the grass. I can't imagine it will scare her either coz nothin seems to! Benjamin was the opposite. Can't wait for them both to get some colour!

I've been puttin Jemima in the bumbo a bit, just for a few minutes at a time coz she's still a bit young, but she seems to enjoy sittin up on her own.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/sheepgobaa/Picture082_zps61d4d8b6.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-03-2013 - 8:32pm

Did you end up starting?

That's awesome that she's able to lift her head and shoulders up. The rolling over will come in time.

I've been getting out the house a lot with my son. I'm so proud of myself for being able to feel confident to do it by myself and now that it's warmer I definitely don't want to be couped up in the house. I've met up with a couple of friends of mine from high school (that I haven't talked to since high school other than on FB), who also have kids around Ricky's age. Just this week we went to the park, mall walking, the zoo, my old job, my dad's house, and my friend's house. DH has been working a lot with his dad, so we've been off our sleep schedule and with running around, I've been a little more tired lately. When I took Ricky to the zoo, I was with DH cousin and her son, who is three. We went at 10am and stayed until 2pm and Ricky was really red, so I thought he got burnt. Although, I wasn't sure how since he had sunblock on and his head was covered. Appparently, it was because he was hot, which I noticed he gets hot really easy, so I kept having to pour water on him. I find it getting easier everyday the older he gets/the more independent he becomes. This is him at the park... Oh and I put him in grass for the first time and he didn't even seem to care, lol.

Community Leader
Mon, 04-29-2013 - 5:26am

Yup still waitin for my first period. I don't feel so much like it's on its way now so not sure what's goin on!

DD has amazing strength the way she lifts her head and shoulder up when she is on her front but she hasn't rolled over yet. I've got a pic of her watchin the tv on her front, I can't upload it at the min but I will later and post it for you to see.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-28-2013 - 8:03am

I'm doing well. I've been meeting up with a couple of stay at home moms (friends from high school) that I reconnected with on FB recently. I can't stand being in the house. One of my friends has three kids (5, 3, and a newborn), so she likes to be at home, which I don't mind because I can go over her house to chit chat and it gets me out of the house. The other one has a 10 month old daughter, so six months older than Ricky and we've been going to different parks or malls to walk around. I have plans with DH two cousins (one has a newborn and the other has a three year old) and their friend, who also has a newborn.

We've been more careful for the most part, but we've also been doing alternative things rather than just BD (I'm sure you can use your imagination to know what I mean). Ricky sleeps about 10 hours and wakes up after five, so that's been nice. He's teething really bad, though, so he's been extra fussy. We go to the doctors next Monday, but I've weighed him at home and he's 16lbs, so I'm sure he'll be close to your daughters weight. Everyone tells me how stout he is. I'm hoping he'll outgrow that a little when he starts crawling and walking. We're going to get a playmat (we've just been using a blanket for tummy time) because I put him on one at my friends and he was cracking up swatting at the toys, plus it would allow me to put him down. He likes for me to pack him around- half of the time I have to carry him around stores and push his stroller. And.. I usually have to hold him while I eat, too. We're also going to get a jumperoo real soon- I told DH he needs more toys that he can stimulate himself with because I am always holding him and constantly trying to entertain him, so I'm pretty exhausted by the time I do go to sleep. I'm open to getting pregnant anytime now, but I know the soonest DH would want to is this time next year and probably the year after.

I think your daughters weight is fine considering how big she was when she was born. I know you said you had not been as careful, too, but I'm glad you're not preggo this soon (if that's what you want). Is this your first period? Wow, I can't belive your sis is expecting again, but to each their own. Some people are truly maternal and that many kids and close in age fits their family dynamic well.

Is your daughter hitting any new milestones? Rolling over? cutting teeth?

Community Leader
Sat, 04-27-2013 - 10:05am

How you doin? Had my big girl weighed on Thurs, she's 17lb 9oz! I thought I was expectin again coz I've had nausea for days but got a BFN yesterday so must just be a bug or hormones goin back to normal. I think my milk supply is diminishin a bit and feel like AF may be on its way so might all be related. Remember my sister I was tellin you about that has 4 children, just found out she's 11 weeks with no. 5! Her youngest will be around 20 months when this one arrives.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-12-2013 - 8:42am

Shoo, I bet in one way it was hard for her to have them so close together- at least in the newborn phase, but yeah, I'm sure they are super close. My sister is 11 months older than me and we were the best of friends growing up.

I guess I'll just let it happen when it's supposed to and quit over thinking it.Last time, we TTC a girl and while I would still love to have a daughter, I may just let whatever happens happen. I love my son and it would be cool to see him with a brother, plus we already have all this boy stuff and boys LOVE their mommas! Plus, I feel like if I have another boy, I'll definitely be done and if it's a girl, it'll leave it more open... anyway.  In the meantime, I'll enjoy my son! I'm glad to hear that it's easier to adjust to a 2nd and that the older one won't be neglected in attention. I think I over stimulate my son anyway. I feel like any wakeful moment, I should be interacting with him rather than just letting him chill, lol. I tried to GOOGLE it too see, but couldn't find any answers.

I took his sling out of his bathtub this morning, he's doing well sitting up at this point. He's also been sleeping really well in his crib and pack and play all week, surprisingly. I just put him in there to see how he did and he fell asleep right away and unswaddled. Now, I just feel like I need him to loose the middle of the night feeding. He's been eating baby oatmeal with a spoon for a week now, too. At first he was trying to suck it off the spoon, like he would a bottle, now he kind of slurps it. I'm going to wait until his four month check up (he'll actually be 18 weeks) and see what he pedi had to say about starting more baby food. In a way, it's went by fast, in another way... not. That first month was rough. I don't see how people go back to work after one or two months. Three months, maybe because at that point the baby is pretty well adjusted.

It's hard for us to know what baby gear is actually necessary. The way everyone makes it sound you need everything under the sun.... we orginially got the diaper geanie, bottle warmer, co-sleeper and we returned them all. I don't feel like I need to get a sling carrier with him because I don't want to "wear" him. When I do have another, it may be more necessary with a toddler and infant, but not now. DH thinks we need a walker, but I want to get the jumperoo. I tried to put Ricky in the jumperoo my cousin has and it was on the lowest leve, so he could reach the ground, but he just stood there, lol. I guess, he'll need more time in it to figure it out. He did try to suck on padding, but he's putting everything in his mouth at this point. He does't have a playmat because we just use a blanket. Really, the only toys he has at this point is bath toys, which he's too young for and rattles. He has board books, too, which he seems to enjoy listening to. Do you have any toy recommendations for 4 months since he'll be 4 months in about another week.

Community Leader
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 5:44pm

I find it works the other way around, DS gets my attention n DD just sits in her rocky chair. She only demands attention for feeds. It's so different with your second. I feel like I wanna go back and look after DS with the ease I look after DD. I guess it's a much smaller adjustment second time round.

My sister has 4 children, there's 11 months between 1 and 2, 13 months between 2 and 3 and 5 years between 3 and 4! I think the first 3 are prob a bit close together tho they are very close because their ages are so similar. Her 4th is very advanced for her age because she copies what the others do.

You've just got to do what's best for you when it comes to havin another and also remember that you don't always have alot of control over the age gap, you might become pg before you plan to or it might take you a while to conceive again. Just do what feels best.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-11-2013 - 3:21pm

Yeah, everyone left when the boards changed because of log in issues. I know I wasn't able to get in for the longest. I still have troubles every once in a while, but if I try again, it works.

I was wanting to hear everyone's birth stories, too and see how mommy life is going for everyone.

It's like MIL put it, every month that goes by gets easier. DH was like why rock the boat then and have another.... psh, we're definitely having at least one more. I'm just not sure if I want to try when DS is one or two. How do you like the age difference between yours? Most peole around my age that have kids have kids 2 years apart.

I know what you mean about the slip up... we started doing it again about a month after and we weren't using protection and I thought I was pregnant when my son was only 2 months old... can you imagaine? We're using condoms now for the first time ever, so it's weird for us, but we also don't want to have another kid until at least fall 2014. My brother (and his girlfriend), who is six years younger than me is expecting his first kid at the end of October. I also have two cousins, who are sister in laws due at the end of November. One of those girls will have three kids all 18 months apart (so a newborn, 18 month old, and 3 year old- she'll have her hands full). Another of my cousins had a kid 8 weeks after me and my SIL had a baby 8 weeks before me. We've had a lot of babies in my family recently, lol. I guess that's the way it happens.

My only concern when I do have another is giving my son enough attention. I feel like at that point, he'll be able to get out and do fun things with, but then it'll be all about the baby. How do you manage?

Pages