What Will Grandma & Grandpa Be Called?

iVillage Member
What Will Grandma & Grandpa Be Called?
Thu, 12-13-2012 - 10:02am

President George W. Bush joked that he would like his first grandchild to show a little respect, and address him as “Sir.”

He spoke to his daughter, Jenna Bush Hager, by phone on TODAY shortly after she announced her pregnancy on the show. The former first daughter called her dad "Popsicle," and she and her twin sister famously call their grandparents "Gampy and Ganny."

"Sir" may work for the former leader of the free world, but today's grandparents answer to all sorts of names. And they’re often far from the traditional Grandma and Grandpa.

Some grandparents pick what they want their newest relatives to call them, some families simply continue the names created by older cousins, and other names evolve from family jokes or traditions, or the best (mis) pronunciation that a little one can muster.

Watch out, George Bush: Kids come up with creative names for grandparents- http://www.today.com/moms/watch-out-george-bush-kids-come-creative-names-grandparents-1C7578243

What will your child call grandma and grandpa?  BTDT mamas, do your children have creative names for their grandparents? 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-19-2013 - 5:31pm

My dad and step mom already have 7 grandchildren (my son is the 8th) and my dad is called "papal" (his spelling) and my step mom is "nana." My mom, who only has one other grandson, who is five (by my sister) is ""mamaw." My husbands parents dubbed themselves "papaw" and "mamaw." Dh is an only child and our children will be their only grandchildren. My grandma is still alive and has 27 great grandchildren and they all call her "g-mama."

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 12:37pm
i think the precedent has already been set by my nieces and nephews. my parents are just grandma and grandpa. DH's mom is nana. unfortunately, DH's dad passed away before we were even engaged. he was already bugging us about having kids even before i had a ring on my finger! hope he's smiling at what's about to happen, from where ever he may be...

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-18-2012 - 9:30am

My mother-in-law chose "Mimi" because she didn't like the idea of being called "Grandma", "Grandmother", or any other variation thereof.  My daughter is her first grandchild.  My father-in-law on the other hand had no strong feelings about what my daughter called him.  She came up with "Baba" all on her own when she was about 10-12 months old and it stuck.

On my side of the family, my daughter was grandchild #15. But she was also the first grandchild for my parents in over 12 years and the first granddaughter in over 17 years (although there were 3 great grandchildren between my youngest nephew and my daughter)... anyway my parents weren't as picky about what they wanted to be called.  They'll answer to Grandma & Grandpa but my wife & I thought to keep it consistent lets stick with 4 letter nicknames for my parents as well so they became Nana and Papa just to make it easier for our daughter.

For those couples who may be reading this and are having their first, I do recommend checking with your parents and in-laws to see if they have any preferences on what they prefer to be called.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't but it's a nice courtesy to ask before committing to names/terms of endearment for them. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-13-2012 - 12:57pm

dad1976 wrote:
<p>My daughter has already dubbed my in-laws "Mimi and Baba" and my parents are "Nana and Papa."  I'm guessing her soon-to-arrive baby brother will follow suit.</p>

Aww! Very cute!  I love her names for them.  Like you said, I'm sure her baby brother will use the same names.

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-13-2012 - 12:13pm

My daughter has already dubbed my in-laws "Mimi and Baba" and my parents are "Nana and Papa."  I'm guessing her soon-to-arrive baby brother will follow suit.