What's Your Plan for Maternity Leave?

iVillage Member
What's Your Plan for Maternity Leave?
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 9:47am

Not that we needed another reason to convince us that extended maternity leave should be an option for all working women, but new research shows when moms-to-be stayed on the job past eight months of pregnancy, their babies weighed less than those born to moms who stopped working earlier.

The Guardian in London reports the study out of the University of Essex, using data from one U.S. report and two U.K. studies, found the half (.5) pound average difference was the same weight disparity shown between smoking and non-smoking pregnant moms. [Enter your own work-can-be-dangerous-to-your-health joke here.]

Interesting!  I know it isn't always possible to take an extended maternity leave. Will you work up until your due date? Take some time off before baby arrives?  What's your plan for taking time off?

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 7:26am

I worked until 35/36 weeks with my last pg but this time I'm hopin to go off at around 31 weeks, I'm countin down already!

Photobucket

the baby countdown

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 3:16pm
i will be working up until the delivery (hopefully won't go into labor while AT the office!
my employer doesn't offer much in the say of maternity leave. with short term disability and using up my vacation and sick time, i should be out for 10 weeks once this LO is born.

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 5:33pm
I had a baby 9 months ago so I don't wanna use up all of my sick time just in case my children get sick. So I'm not taking off until I go into labor. I plan to take 6 or 8 weeks
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:01am

well, with dd, i went out 4 weeks before my duedate. here in NJ you get up to 4 weeks before your due date and 6 weeks (vaginal) or 8 weeks (csection) after. i definitely was ready to go when at that 36w mark! with this one, im not sure what to do. im a hairdresser, and 4 weeks before my due date takes me out the whole month of december. normally, i would think that would be awesome. but as horrible as this is, i dont want to miss out on my christmas tips!!! im hoping to be able to stay into the first 2 weeks of december, but we will see. i cant decide if its worth staying or not. my hours will be sooo cut back, that im not going to be able t get that many people in anyway. im going to have to cut my hours back pretty soon actually. im thinking maybe another month working my full schedule. i work one 9 hour day and 2 8 hour days, as long as im fully booked, which i usually am. i have an aflac short term diability policy, so i wont be solely relying on diability, which is nice. i also dont want to let my clients down. i just dont know what to do!  

springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182