Where to put Baby #3?

iVillage Member
Where to put Baby #3?
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 1:56am

Hi all!  I am new to this board.  I used to be a regular on the TTC boards.  Anyway, we are currently expecting baby #3.  In theory, we should have plenty of space for this baby, as we have a 4 bedroom house.  We have been using one bedroom as and office/guest room/overflow storage.  So, I have 2 problems with moving my eldest daughter into that room.  First, the room is located at the front of the house with 3 large windows facing the front yard.  It makes me nervous to have her in the front, because she will only be 4.  Second, if I do move her in there, I have to figure out what to do with all the stuff that currently resides in that room.

So, does anyone have any advice about kids sharing a room with a new baby?  I am considering having my 4 year old share a room with the baby, after the baby moves out of the bassinet into the crib.  The new baby is also a girl, so it seems logical to have these two share a room.  I could have my 4 year old share with my son, who will be 21 months when the baby is born.  The problems with that are that I picture them playing and keeping each other awake, and I would have to neutralize the decor of the room to suit both.

I know this stuff is kind of frivolous, but I figure I can't be the only expectant mother that obsesses over this stuff.

I welcome your opinions.  I will help my planning process.  Thanks!

-Haley

Haley a.k.a. Mrs. A

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:13am

I'm glad you guys came up with a solution that works for your family. Depending on where you're moving the stuff maybe you could have the two little ones help with smaller items or if they have a wagon that could pull items. That way you keep them occupied and have some help.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:14pm

Thanks to all for your helpful responses.  We finally decided to move forward with moving the older child to the office/guest room.  I am already cleaning out the office stuff, and measuring furniture, to see where we are going to put everything.  I wish I could just get it all done in one weekend, but with 2 little ones running around, that is unrealistic.  Good thing I am getting started early anyway.

Haley a.k.a. Mrs. A

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 4:08pm
how often do you actually have overnight guests? if it's infrequent, i wonder if it would be most advantageous to just use that as a third kid room. do you have space to move your office desk, etc. into a low traffic living space?
if you have frequent guests or really want to keep that room as office/storage, i would guess it's a better option to have the two older kids share a room. my niece and nephew, who are 8 and 10 still share a room in my sister's house and it's not so bad for them, even though they're older. your kids are young and would probably be absolutely fine. i'm guessing they'd rather have than than be woken by a crying baby at all hours of the night!
good luck!

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:53am

Jumping over from the Sept. Board.  My oldest two are 2 years and 3 months apart.  They still share a room to this day (now 10 and 8), but will be getting their own rooms as soon as our addition is done.  I placed the two together from the day dd#2 came home from the hospital.  I never had issues with the older one waking in the night.  She slept through it.  Have you asked your oldest how she'd feel about sharing?  In our case, we will be sharing a room with the two younger ones.  Eventually, the room will be split, and the room will become 3, so all of the kids will have their own room.  If you feel that theme is the only thing keeping the younger two from sharing a room (not sure what your current theme is), could you divide it?  Have girlie, have boyish?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 5:10pm

I'm a first time mom myself, so I can't really offer advice on from a mom of multiples perspective, but what about you guys moving your bedroom downstairs? Otherwise, the idea of the 4 year old and almost two year old sharing a room isn't a bad idea even though they are different genders, since they are both still young. Otherwise, the idea of the baby and 4-year old sharing a room also sounds like a good idea in theory since they are both the same gender,  I would just worry about her sleep patterns being on the same schedule as the baby's.

As far as gender neutral ideas: Spongebob or another cartoon related theme

You can make each side of the room more personalized with the bedding.  GL and let us know what you decide!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers