Women Hard-Wired to Respond to Cries

iVillage Member
Women Hard-Wired to Respond to Cries
Tue, 05-14-2013 - 12:23pm

The idea that women are hard-wired to respond to babies is supported in a small new brain scan study from Italy.

Women in the study who listened to the sounds of a baby crying in hunger showed a change in activity in certain brain regions, but men showed no change.

Read more here- http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/3800-baby-cries-women-men-brains.html

This makes perfect sense to me! Mamas- do you feel like you are always the first to hear baby cry?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-15-2013 - 11:12am

I completely agree with this! My son is almost 5 months now, but those first two sleep deprived months especially. Now, I do have to say, we share a room with our son, and with him being our first, we noticed every breath, movement, cry, etc. We would alternate every other time the first two months, but I would be the first to hear the baby and I would poke my husband, so he'd get up and there were a couple of time when he thought he had him and didn't. Since I was semi already up at that point, I'd usually just end up getting him, it was easier. Now, after two and half months of only getting 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, DH and I worked out a sleep schedule, so we both get 8-hours. I go to bed at 10pm and get the baby at 6am (and the rest of the day since I am SAHM) and DH gets the middle of the night feeding. Honestely, DS is at the point where he goes to bed at 7:30 and if we let him sleep through, he'll sleep until 4am before needing a bottle/diaper, but DH gets him at 2am (and then DH sleeps until 10am) and the baby stays down longer because of it (6-7am).

We let him sleep until he woke up a few times, but then he kind of refuses to go back to sleep, so it just works for us.

Amanda

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers