January 1- January 8

iVillage Member
January 1- January 8
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 5:38pm

This is a way to connect with ladies having similar experiences that are due the same week.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 7:41pm

I am officially 6 months (24 weeks)... so crazy! Our parenting classes start next Thursday and go every Thursday for the next eight weeks (through November), but we get a $150 gift card to Walmart at the last class! We'll be getting our shower invitations ready in the next two weeks. Our shower is November 3 (8 weeks away from due date). Then, in December we'll be doing our maternity photos.

Trying to keep up with my work load/work ahead on copies/lesson plans, so I can start my lesson plans once I'm gone (I have eight weeks to plan for).

I've had a hard time sleeping the past couple of nights because I've had a lot on my mind, getting up to pee (restless), and Ricky seems to be moving more and still hanging out low, so it causes a lot of pressure. Oh and people started commenting how pregnant I look this week... DUH, I'm 6 months! I've gained about 10lbs so far, so not too bad.

How's everyone else doing?

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 8:52am

i am 24w 3d. def crazy that we are 6 months!!!

i feel like we arent doing anything really to prepare for this baby. its a very abstract concept at this point. dh has been working basically 7 days a week. so, nothing has gotten done lol. i have some clothes and stuff. i have to go through all dd clothes and weed them out. with this one being a boy, i dont want to keep all those baby girl clothes.

work has been getting really difficult. i work 10-6 3 days a week. im a hairdresser, and im pretty busy, so im constantly on my feet. by 330, im BEAT. im trying to wait till the end of the month to cut my hours back. i still dont know when i will go out. officially, ill be there through the end of november, bu t i would like to stay through the first 2 weeks of december. i want to be there for my customers (and the christmas tips lol), but  im not sure my body will handle it. or that it will be financially worth it. by that point, my hours will definitely be cut back, and i can only do so many people. we will see what happens. 

sleeping hasnt been great for me either. i think i need new pillows lol. and im always hot. and of course its hard to get comfy. and i get up to pee like 3-4 times. ugh, its exhausting.

i definintely and all of a sudden looking very preganant. i feel like i look bigger than i should, but maybe just because its my 2nd. i havent taken any belly pictures, which i need to start doing. and i keep saying that but theni never do it lol. at my last apointment i was up a total of 11 lbs. 6 of which i gained last month lol. ive been pigging out and i definitely need to watch it.

springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 6:29pm

At least you already have some of the bigger items, so I'm sure that helps. As a teacher, I'm on my feet a lot, but I couldn't imagine being on my feet all day. Hopefully you have some comfy shoes. I'm sure at least knowing around when you'll take leave makes it easier to plan for financially and otherwise.

I've had a cold for a week now and it's kicking my butt. I at least got to rest some this weekend, but then breakfast must have upset my stomach this morning because I ended up having vomiting. Definitely not fun at any time, but especially at  6 months pregnant. I was luckily able to hold down dinner, but my stomach is very gurgly right now.

My MIL even commented that I was BIG. I was like, well I'm six months pregnant. She was like I thought 5 1/2 because if you were six wouldn't you be due in December. I was like 24 weeks=6 months. I didn't bother explaining further about how each month is four weeks, so I'll be nine months pregnant the whole month of December. She's very country and old school, so she has a hard time comprehending things like that.

We start our parenting classes this Thursday (and every Thursday for the next eight weeks). I'm excited, but I'm sure I'll be exhausted because it's from 6:45-8:15. I bought some more maternity tops today to finish off my maternity wardrobe, minus an outfit for a wedding this Saturday, our baby shower, and maternity photo outfit (all of which DH will need clothes for too). He really needs an update on his wardrobe, which I'll get a few pieces at a time for him.

Other than that, just trying to work ahead on lesson plans, so I can start my sub lesson plans. It's stressing me out a little to feel like I don't have enough time to plan/copy, but I know I'll get it done because I have to.

How long are you taking for maternity leave? I'm taking eight weeks. Two of which I have to use my pto for and the other six will be STD at 60% of my income. Of course with STD I have to get a doctors note with approved time off (I can take up to six months with the note).

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 8:43pm

it IS nice that we have alot of the bigger things and dont need to worry about that stuff. im sure my mom will have a "sprinkle" for me, where they just give you clothes and stuff lol. so im not too worried about that. 

i do have comfy shoes at work, i wear croc flats. i think the hardest thing is that youre kind of standing in one place. im not really walking around. and then the shampooing people, bending over the sink sucks. i do schedule in a lunch break, which i wouldnt normally do, so at least i definitely get to sit down for like a half hour.

haha its so hard to explain the 40 weeks to people. they just dont get it. especially older ladies. i just usually say, im "like" __ months. lol

we did parenting/birthing classes with dd. i dont think we will do them this time around. they were really informative, and i definitely feel like we learned alot. i just dont know when we would have the time lol

i want to buy more maternity clothes, i need another pair of jeans. which im having a hard time finding lol. nothing from my first pregnancy fits, i lost 50 lbs in between lol. i think ill get a few t shirts and stuff, maybe a nice sweater. im still able to wear alot of my regular shirts, which is nice.

here in NJ, disablilty gives you up to 4 weeks before your due date (so you dont get extra if you deliver late) and then you get 6 weeks after for a vaginal delivery, 8 weeks for a csection. ill be a csection so ill take the 8 weeks. i cant really afford to take more than that. financially, or because you tend to lose clients when you are gone a long time like that, no matter how long youve been doing their hair. here in NJ you can take more time as family leave, but its unpaid. all it does is guarantee that they cant give away your position at your job. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 6:56am

I've never heard of a sprinkle, but that sounds really cool. I'm glad that you have comfy shoes to work in. I have clog slip-ons, that my DH hates because he said they look like slippers, but they are so comfy. Yeah, I bet that is hard standing in one place and bending over. I can still bend over, but very awkwardly since the baby sits so low, so if I drop something I usually have one of my students pick it up.

I did sit down and draw it out for MIL last night (weeks/month) and told her that the whole month of December I'll be 9 months, so really having the baby at the end of nine months/beginning of 10 months. I still don't think she got it, but she nodded, lol.

I'm glad you found the parenting classes to be beneficial. Hopefully they cover diapering. I know it's not that hard to figure out, but DH is an only child with cousins all his age and he's never changed a baby. I've never bathed a baby, so I'm nervous about that. It's probably not as necessary doing the classes again since you already know what to expect. Honestly, the only reason I talked DH into it was because of the gift card. He said we could figure everything else out as we go like every other parent.

He's excited to be a dad- we planned this, but he so worried about the dynamic/intimacy of our relationship changing.

It's nice that you were able to get use out of your regular clothes since you lost so much weight before getting pregnant. All my pants were below the belly, I found those to be the most comfortable, but with the jeans that are belly the belly, the band bends so much and makes it uncomfortable. Plus, I was in between sizes b/w a med. and large. I got all large (except the jeans) just to be safe/comfortable. Now I bought two of the over the belly jeans in a large. Burlington coat factory has them for $15 compared to $30 everywhere else. I bought all my clothes online. All of the shirts I got were from Old Navy. I'm going to a store tonight that sells used maternity clothes to get the dress for the wedding. I'll probably splurge a little and go to Motherhood Maternity to buy the outfit for our maternity pictures.

That's nice that you get the time off before! Plus, the normal time after. I know it'll be hard for me to work so much at the end, but I have to. At least I'll get the two week of Christmas break off (paid), plus the two weeks after by using my PTO, then my STD starts for the next six weeks. I'd like to take 12, so I don't have to come back until after Spring break. But I'm going to play it by ear. Ohio is the same way... Family Medical Leave Act. Technically, I think our job can be saved up to a year... STD only gives up 6 months of income at 60%  with doctors note.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 9:29am

if i remember correcty, the class we took did cover diapering and bathing lol. that part was nice referesher for us, we both are the the oldest kids in our families. hes the oldest of 6, (hes 30, then, 28, 26, 21, 19, 6) and im the oldest of 3, im 30, my brother is 28 my sister is 18. so we definitely both had been around babies. theres always little things you dont know or wouldnt think of. or a tip the teacher gives you. diaper advice: put the new clean diaper under the old dirty one (unless its an especially poopy one) that way, if they pee, it just goes on the new diaper and not all over the changing table lol. and have everything ready. wipes open, cream if needed, open (which btw, i totally reccomend budreauxs butt paste). it gets easier the more you do it. :smileyhappy:

youre having a boy, right? im nervous about changing a boy diaper, as that something i never have done. i have all these little baby boys cousins, but its just never happened that i needed to change them lol. my one cousin always says, when you open their diaper, if their little weewee is hard, close the diaper back up lmao that means theyre gonna pee haha! bathing the baby is pretty easy. make sure you register for a sling bath chair. its like, mesh on a wire frame. best thing ever! so much better than those foam things. i never used one of those little baby baths though. the best advice i can give you is make sure you get in all the crevices lol. its amazing the places a baby will gather debris. under the chin especially. 

dh and i are having a little debate/disagreement about circumcision. i say do it, he says no. i feel like thats whats normal. and i dont want lil murphy to feel different than all the other boys. my dh is circumcised, so i really dont understand why hes against it. he just says, its not necessary. i think it seems more sanitary.... idk i think were going to have to read up on it before we make a real decision. 

as far as your relationship, it will change but it will be an amazing awesome change. having a baby together is so intimate. to know that the two of you made this amazing little human, is just incredible. the most important thing is to make sure you still spend time together just the two of you. go on dates. even if its just a dinner. you have to feel like a couple, and not just parents. for dh and i, a big rule for us was that we didnt cosleep with dd. were naked (or next to) sleepers, and with a baby in the bed, thats hard. neither one of us believe in it, so that made that decision a lot easier. but it really helped our sex life once we got the ok from the dr. its much easier to be intimate when you know theres not going to be a baby ending up in your bed at some point. it keeps the bedroom as a romantic place. even now, dd is 3 and shes allowed to come in the bed in the morning, but if she gets up in the night, we put her in her own bed. the only exception is when shes sick.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 6:57am

That's good to hear about diapering and bathing- one of the titles of the classes said, "Baby Basics," so I figured that would be the one. I'm the middle child and do have 5 nephews and 2 nieces (one due in November) from 0-5. Our baby will be youngest one though. I'm 28 and DH is 30 and other then his two cousin's kids in the past couple of years, he hasn't been around kids much. My first job in college was at a daycare and then a before and after school program before becoming a teacher, so between family and my experience, I have been around a lot of kids. That's good advice about putting the clean diaper under the old one. I've been looking into changing pads (to take with you) for the baby, too. Diaper tables are convenient because everything is right there.

Yep, a boy! I'm so nervous about changing a boy diaper. I already told DH we're going to have to get those pee clothes that go over him, lol. All of my sisters have been peed on by their sons. I think I am most nervous about cleaning the circumcision- yes we decided to go that route. There wasn't really conversation about it other than that was what we were doing.

I've been looking online for things I need to register for. I going to register for a lot that way what I don't get I can go back and get off my list. I've been looking into those baths with slings. And.. the pack and play with the infant sleeper- love those! You can only sponge bathe the baby until the umbilical cord falls off and the circumcision heals, right? I believe someone told me to start with the hands too, is that right?

We live in a two family house with the in-laws downstairs. We do share a kitchen and basement (laundry room with them). I'd like to have more of our own space, but it works because we all four take turns cooking and eat together 3-4x/week. Our space upstairs is limited to a living room, bedroom, bathroom, hallway, and attic. DH grew up on the second floor with his aunt and cousins living downstairs. They had their bedroom in the attic, so technically we could do that to give the baby his own room. But right now, he will be in our room until we have another little one. Then, we'll either move our room upstairs to the attic or move the living room downstairs (take over more of the in-laws space, but still have it divided somewhat if that makes sense) and put our bedroom across from the kids' bedroom, which makes more sense to me. This is only a temporary situation until the house is paid off in the next few years. Then, we're going to sell it and split the money since we've all been paying into it, so we can get our own properties. I do love living so connected to the in laws, but it would be nice to have more of our own space.

Dh and I are a little spoiled. We've been together for 11 1/2 years and married going on three in November. He's used to it just being us. We eat together, sleep together, and shower together everyday. Obviously, everything else. He's my best friend and was before we started dating, so we have a pretty solid foundation. I guess with the baby being in our room, it'll make it more tricky to be intimate, but we still have the shower, living room, or we could move the baby to the living room so we could have the bedroom. We're not letting him sleep in our bed. Baby Ricky will definitely have his own crib with a pack and play in the living room. I guess his biggest fear is me being in mommy mode and not being as open to things as I have been. I don't know if that makes sense. He basically doesn't want a dull sex life because I am a mommy.  And.. of course, if I want more babies, I really have to step up my game, so he doesn't get completely turned off, lol.

I really want him to stay home for the first kid, so I can continue to work w/o being forced out of my job, which I love. He works from home, so it's not like it would be inconvenient for him. But, it's just a matter of talking him into b/c of what society expects of the man to do. He'd still be working, but from home, but others wouldn't see it that way. Honestly, if I can talk him into doing it for the first two, then I'd stay home with the third. The first two, we want to have pretty close together, and a space of 2-3 between the second and third, so all in all I'd be home as long as he would vs. me being home the whole time.  

I went shopping for dresses to wear to the wedding on Saturday. Ugh, I look so pregnant. At least it's all belly. I couldn't find something I liked, but my cousin lent me a regular dress that is polyester, cuts just below the bust w/a ribbon to tie around the back, and flairs out at the bottom. Who knew I could wear regular dresses depending on the style/fit. Of course, it didn't have a zipper, it was one of those pull over ones, but too cute. She got it at New York and Company. I'm going to have to go dress shopping now, lol and I am not a big dress person.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 4:24pm
Thats great that youve been around babies and kids, it really does take some of the fright out of the newness of the baby lol.
thats awesome you can live with your inlaws like that. I couldnt do it lol. Dh and I are in a similar relationship situation. Weve known each other since 8th grade and always had friends in common. We started dating right before senior year and have been together even since! We just had our 13 year anniversary and our 6 year wedding anniversary is next month :smileyhappy:
Some things will def change. Your time is no longer your own, and you have to tag team lol. But, I find our sex life is better now (well not now now because im so not interested, totally opposite from my pregnancy with dd) but in this stage of life. Just gotta keep things interesting. :smileyhappy: its all about having the bedroom not be a parental place lol.
That would be great if he could work from home. My dh wouldnt do it lol. But hes in construction and wouldnt be happy at home all the time. Idk what in gonna do about childcare this time around. With dd, my mil watched her but shes not interested this time around. So, ill probly have to just work evenings and saturdays.
I think I may be done after this baby. He keeps saying im gonna want another and that hes willing to try for a third. I feel like 2 is enough. I dont want to be out numbered. Well have one of each lol. I think thats good. weve always said 3 wsd an absolute max. And had this been a girl, I would have been all for it. But we will see.
Clothes shopping while pregnant is torture. I hate it. We have a wedding in october and I have no clue what im gonna wear. I guess I should figure that out lol. At least someone had a dress you could borrow!
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 6:03pm

Happy early Anniversary! I hear the term tag team a lot and especially when it comes to two kids that you each kind of take one, but it's when you have three or more that you're outnumbered...

Coming up with different positioning, etc. is interesting to say the least. DH has been very patient- although, I'm still pretty good to him considering I work full time, come home and cook (and do laundry), and still take care of my wifely duties :smileywink: Not to the extent I usually do, but he's definitely satisfied...

I would love to talk him into working from home, but I'm not sure how hard it will be for me being away from the baby/pumping at work vs. how hard it would be for him trying to work from home and take care of a baby. If I can just finish this school year and do next school year, I would stay home once we have our 2nd b/c that would give me five years of teaching and then I'm sure five years home. That would be a good way for me to take classes or something while I am home and then switch from private to public school to make more money.

It would be hard for you husband to be a stay at home dad. Plus, not everyone could do it. I can see DH doing it with one, but not two (unless he really enjoyed it). He's the type of person that needs more stimulation/adult environment vs. being with kids all day, which is what I already do- just with everyone else's kids.

I wonder why your MIL changed her mind- that does put you in a situation. That's funny that your husband wants another and has to talk you into it, usually it's the other way around (like in my case, even though our first is still in progress).

I bought all my clothes online, it gets rid of the awkwardness of trying things on in the store and luckily everything I bought, fits. It helped a ton that my cousin had a dress I could borrow. I wouldn't even worry about going for maternity dress- to me, they just make you look bigger. Look for something that doesn't even have a zipper, but is flowy and you can put on over your head. The dress she let me borrow was from New York and Company and wasn't a maternity dress.

How's everything else going?

We have our next parenting class Thursday. We set up  FB page for our shower invites and we're hand delivering paper invites tomorrow. We registered at Target for baby stuff. I have a reunion to go to this weekend and it's the first time extended family has seen me pregnant and I'll be 26 weeks, so I'm sure there will be a lot of comments (hopefully nice), pics, and belly rubs. I have all my lesson plans done through the month of Oct. I'm going to work on making copies tomorrow. Then, I'm going to start on Nov, so not too bad. I'm just trying to give myself time to work on sub plans during Nov, so trying to work ahead. Other than all of that, we have 100 days today until our due date and I've been feeling Ricky move and see it from the outside and while it's cool it's also a little weird (like the movie Alien).

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-30-2012 - 9:23pm

thanks! haha yes, positioning is interesting. but, like you say i dont think dh has anything to complain about.

i feel so bad for him, hes been working 7 days and after work during the week. and weve been having plumbing issues so hes trying to fix that. i miss him lol. i feel like we never see each other. 

that sounds like a good plan for you to be home after the 2nd. it sounds like it will work out well.

my MIL changed her mind because she wanted to "punish" us for hurting her feelings. which she had no reason to feel hurt the way she did. she acted like a child, and does not want to realize the world doesnt revolve around her.  its a loooooong story. 

haha yes, we have always said 3 is our max, but im thinking 2 is good. maybe if we had a bigger place i would feel differently. 

i bought a lot of things online when i was pg with dd, but im trying not to buy a ton of things this time. and online shopping is so easy!!! hahhaha 

i just went through the book at work and cut my hours back, so thats good but it wont really be in effect for a week or 2 because i already had appointments on the book. its just getting really really hard. im sooo tired at the end of the day.

as far as everything else, eh. like i said, dh is working constantly. so nothing that needs to get done around the house "getting ready for baby wise" is. but theres not a whole lot i can do about it. im trying to organize and condense as much of our house as i can. but really, this whole wall moving project is going to be a freaking nightmare. i dont even know where to begin. it makes the whole baby thing alot less excting :smileysad: but im trying to stay positive. im hoping the project will go smoothly and that it can be done before the baby gets here. 

this whole plumbing issue we are having the last week is a serious pain. dh has tried to fix it, but its always like, in the dark at night. not a whole lot he can do. im going to have to call the office tomorrow. and they will do everything in their power to make this our fault. ugh. so lots of stress. 

im over being pregnant, but at the same time, 100 days isnt enough lol

Pages