Constipation

iVillage Member
Constipation
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 6:23am

My next appointment is Tuesday and I'm going to have a male doctor (I've seen almost every doctor in the practice now), so it's kind of an embarrassing question to ask to a male, who's never experienced pregnancy himself.

Anyway, anyone else having trouble with constipation? I eat fairly healthy or at least I'm more conscience of what I'm eating during my pregnancy. I usually eat Raisin Brain cereal for breakfast, a salad or sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch, and pretty much whatever for dinner. But I can go 2 days without making a bowel movement and then on the third day it seems to come all at once. Gross, I know. I think that's why my weight fluctuates so much day to day, too.

Do you ladies know of something I could eat or something I could take to improve this?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
In reply to: j8songrl
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 9:05am

mine has been the same way! ive been having my one cup of cofee in the morning, and it was helping for a little while, and i was going everyday. but now, im on the same schedule as you. and it hurts that first time. im trying to make sure i eat enough fiber, but i think my biggest problem is i dont get enough water in. i always have a hard time with that. i just dont love water, and im not an overly thirsty person. so, i really have to force myself to drink more water and i think that may be my solution.

springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182
Community Leader
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 10:43am

I wish I was going that often! I'm currently goin about once a week but like you it all comes at once, the first time it's uncomfortable, second time is better, by the third it's diarrhoea! I've invested in some prune juice to try and help, especially as the whole thing is made so much better by piles, fabulous! I would very much like to get rid of those by delivery!

Photobucket

the baby countdown

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 6:50am

I thought with the raisins from my cereal that would be enough. I definitely drink enough water, though since that and milk is the only thing I drink. I drink about 4-16 oz waters while I work, one in the morning before I leave, and one-two at night. I walk a mile with DH in the evening, so moving more is not a problem either.

Other people suggested eating more fruit like kiwi and cherries, too. I may have to try to prune juice route too, I guess. Crazy how much pregnancy messes with our bodies.  

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 3:54pm
my situation is a little unique, since i have ulcerative colitis (an inflammatory bowel disease). thankfully, it's well-managed by medication, so it's not nearly as bad as it could be! long story short, i go more often than the normal girl (just call me lucky). for a few days last month, i was down to just once a day. knowing constipation can be an issue in PG, i asked my doctor (yep, a male) about it. he recommended an OTC stool softener if it became necessary.
otherwise, plenty of fiber, coffee and the like will probably help too! good luck!

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 12:54am
I'm constipated to from the Zofran. Have you tried benefiber? Also hot drinks seem to help me. Instill drink a cup of coffee now and then. Not daily by when I do drink it I better be close to a bathroom

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-01-2012 - 8:59am

Thanks for your reply ladies! DH is very adamant about me asking the Doctor. I may try the Benefiber and uping my fruits. I don't drink coffee, tea, or pop.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 7:59am

I asked the doctor and he said just continue doing what I am doing and maybe eat two bowls of Raisin Bran. I did try Activia yogurt smoothie (you know that commercial with Jamie Lee Curtis about how it's supposed to help older women go). Anyway, I've been drinking it every morning for breakfast for the past week and after a couple of days, it's been making me regular. I'm going to have to get enough to last the weekends, too. I've also been weighing myself to see if it helped with my weight fluctuations and it has, too! Yay, one less discomfort!

Community Leader
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 8:19am

I'm pleased you're gettin some relief. I'm finding a glass a day of prune juice is helping me, I've gone from once a week to every 2-3 days, much healthier!

Photobucket

the baby countdown