Pain Relief During Childbirth

iVillage Member
Pain Relief During Childbirth
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 9:09am
When you're pregnant, it seems like everyone has an opinion about pain relief during childbirth, making it hard to decide whether it's the right choice for you. About 61 percent of women who have a vaginal birth choose to have epidural pain relief, according to a recent report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Whether you're positive you want an epidural -- or just want to be prepared in case you change your mind during delivery (it happens!), here's what you need to know.

Epidurals 101: Everything You Need to Know About Pain Relief During Childbirth-  http://www.ivillage.com/what-epidural-childbirth-pain-relief-101/6-b-478004#ixzz24qjC292M

Have you thought about what kind of pain relief (if any) you'll want during childbirth? What's your plan?

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 3:54pm

With my first pg I didn't want an epidural but went in with the attitude that if it was a long and painful labor I would have one. When I was admitted 4 hours into my 10 hour labor I was offered diamorphine alongside gas n air and these lasted me until baby's arrival.

I'm hopin to have a shorter labor this time so ideally would like to stay away from the diamorphine as it made me quite sleepy. This was fine when I had 6hrs of labor ahead of me but would like to be more awake at the end this time.

Photobucket

the baby countdown

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 4:44pm

i had the epidural with dd, and i wouldnt change a thing. i had ONE really good contraction and said, gimme the drugs lol. i too went in with the attitude of trying to go without, but not making it out of the question. i feel like, they arent handing out any medals, no need to be a hero lmao. this time i will be a scheduled c/s, so i will def have pain meds lol

springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 7:38pm

I got an epidural after a few hours of labor with DD.  It was more than just pain relief for me...it helped me relax.  I didn't sleep at all the night before and needed to rest before I started pushing.  I will def get another one this go around.  I still felt before my contractions were coming but didn't have the pain.  I was up and walking right after having her, so hopefully this time goes as well.

<br><br> 

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 7:57pm

Before I got pregnant, I was all about natural childbirth. But, now the thought of it freaks me out. I am not against pain medication, but the epidural terrifies me. I've seen it being inserted-OUCH! Plus, I'm scared I'll be one of those people that move during insertion and paralyze myself. My cousin said that once you have it- you can't move and they put a catheter in her... not sure if that's procedure for all births or not, but I am having my baby at the same hosiptal. Plus, she said she still has issues with her back from the epidural (over a year ago).

I think I'll look more into other pain medication options before choosing the epidural. I guess it's a good thing we're attending parenting classes for eight weeks (and two of those weeks cover childbirth).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 8:48pm

i wouldnt spend too much time being scared of the epidural. the worst part of the actual procedure is when they "test" it. it sends tingly shocks down your legs for a split second. i was really scared to get it, and it really wasnt bad. and im a baby. the actual insertion of the needle takes all but seconds. its true they catheter you, but its not that you CANT move. you just cant get up and walk. its weird. its not as though you cant pick up your legs, but you cant feel them. i think its a different experience for everyone. i can say, i have no issues at all with my back.

springcttag.gif picture by Layla210182
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 10:29am
i've read that it's a super thin cath tube, and they tape it down so you're fine with moving around, turning, etc. i'm a lot less afraid of it now that i know a little more about them. sure, the needle freaks me out, but so do labor pains!!

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013