Is anyone else going naturally?

iVillage Member
Is anyone else going naturally?
Wed, 06-19-2013 - 12:01pm

I've been reading about the effects of Pitocin and the epidural on the baby and have decided to go naturally. Of course, if medical intervention is a must, i'll be okay with it. I'm a little worried that my doctor will try to intervene to much. I read that 90% of babies are born with some kind of drug in their system, because all of the drugs given do cross the placenta. This also affects the first bonding experience you have with baby and babies can have a harder time latching if breastfeeding. The amount of information is staggering and overwhelming! I'm so sure that I want to deliver naturally, but I don't have the highest pain tolerance. I hope I can make it through! How about you ladies?

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-25-2013 - 9:24am

I'm hoping to have a natural delivery too.  I had pitocin and an epidural with my last child and I really want to experience a naturally med-free delivery this time.  Like you, I'll do what is necessary, but that's what I'm hoping for. 

Jenni ~ Expecting baby #2 in January 2014! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-25-2013 - 10:23am

I birthed all of my children naturally, at home, #4 in a pool in my dining room (freaking Awesome!!).  I will absolutely be going natural and at home as long as my midwife and I feel that it is safe.   

If you are concerned that your dr will try to intervene too much, I would suggest several things.  

1, use a midwife, they tend to listen to the mom FAR better than a dr ever could.  

2, hire an experienced doula, they can help be your voice while your voice is occupied with the birthing of your child and not ready to be fighting your care professional, they also are trained in pain relief techniques and offer support on many levels.

3 write a detailed birthplan and discuss it with your dr.  

And 4, remember that even though they are the professional they cannot force ANY procedures on you, you are important and if they don't treat you as an intelligent person capable of making informed and concious choices then change dr's.  If more people stuck up for themselves against abusive dr's there would be less abusive dr.s.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-27-2013 - 9:09pm

I would love to have a mid-wife, but we don't have any around here, my insurance doesn't cover it, and my fiance hates the idea. I really like my doctor and I think she'll be very understanding. I have my heart so set on a natural birth that I'm just expecting something to mess up. And I don't know how well I will be able to resist an epidural. I don't have the highest pain tolerance and I think my fiance may push me to get one, because he hates to see me in pain... I guess I'll just have to wait and see