Folic Acid During Pregnancy

iVillage Member
Folic Acid During Pregnancy
Mon, 05-06-2013 - 12:29pm

A new study suggests that women who start taking folic acid supplements either before or early in their pregnancy may reduce their child's risk of developing autism.

"The study does not prove that folic acid supplements can prevent childhood autism. But it does provide an indication that folic acid might be preventive," said study lead author Dr. Pal Suren, from the division of epidemiology at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health in Oslo.

Read more here: http://www.ivillage.com/folic-acid-pregnancy-may-lower-autism-risk/6-a-521838

Have you started taking prenatal vitamins yet?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-07-2013 - 9:25am

I've been taking folic acid for the last year that we've been TTC. My doc recommended I start them right away so I did.  :)  

Jenni ~ Expecting baby #2 in January 2014! 

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-12-2013 - 12:51am
I really dont believe there is any link between folic acid and autism. Sorry but sounds like balogne. Adhd is too much sugar. Downs and cerebraly palsy are?? Im just one to not get into this hype. And Believe things just happen. We as parents get these special kids in our lives to teach them and sometimes we wind up learning a thing or two and never taking life for granted even small milestones. My DS2 who is 9 has autisim and i couldnt have taken all the extra vitamins in the workd or changed diet everytime in PG and still get autsim while on all these vitamins and a healthy lifestyle. Im thinking stuff like this is just to sway opinions as there really is no solution to the cause just like their is no cure and hey medical people have pin point one thing or another although its changing more n more often now. Sorry for the rant but this is just ridiculous thats all.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-15-2013 - 3:03am
I agree with Nessie805. I have never heard of a link between folic acid and autism, and beside, this goes against the fact that they keep trying to push that there is an epidemic of autism lately. Considering it is a modern idea to take folic acid when pregnant, then how can the two go together? I have Asperger's, which is part of the autism spectrum, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure, I have my struggles, but I have my strengths, too. People without autism also have their struggles and strengths, many are the opposite to us. The main thing we struggle with is the way others treat us. People on the autism spectrum bring a huge positive influence on this world, and we wouldn't be as evolved as we are without them.

My name is Liz and I am a 33yo from Australia. I have an 8yo DS who I spent 15 months TTC with my ex (got pregnant the month I gave up!). I am now married and my DH and I had a blighted ovum 2 years ago and a couple of early m/cs since. We are now pregnant again and have our fingers crossed!