Smoking During Pregnancy

iVillage Member
Smoking During Pregnancy
Mon, 06-24-2013 - 8:51am

Exposure to cigarette smoke in the womb may interfere with the brain‘s reward system, and make children more vulnerable to addictions.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, 13% of women say they smoked during the last three months of their pregnancy, despite studies that have correlated lighting up with an increased risk of birth defects and heart trouble for their children. Now, a new study published in the journal JAMA Psychiatry adds to that list of risks, showing that exposure to smoke in utero may interfere with proper development of the baby’s reward processing system in the brain.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/06/20/mothers-who-smoke-while-pregnant-put-kids-at-risk-of-substance-abuse/#ixzz2X8aJWV2N

How are you avoiding smoke during your pregnancy? Have you asked those close to you to not smoke around you?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-25-2013 - 9:33am

My in-laws both smoke and I just excuse myself when they are smoking.  They are fairly good about it, they mainly smoke outdoors, but the smell just makes me sick to my tummy.

Jenni ~ Expecting baby #2 in January 2014! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-25-2013 - 10:31am

I work in a very busy barroom.  Avoiding smoke will be near impossible for me.  I try to keep it in perspective.  Feed my family and breathe in smoke,or don't.   The choice for me is apparant.  Luckily I only have to work 3 days.