Baby Abigail is here

iVillage Member
Baby Abigail is here
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 7:13pm

Baby Abigail was born 7/29 at 41 weeks on the dot. She is beautiful, healthy and we are back home. Here is the long story:

I woke up at 640 on Sunday, feeling sore from my night's sleep, like always.  I went to the bathroom and had some mucous plug stuff when I wiped, but nothing too different then what I've been seeing when I wake up.  Then I decided to do some pelvic circles in the bed, and out squeezed a big blob of liquid.  I did some more circles, and more-and-more fluid came out.  When I moved, more came out so I feel pretty sure that it is my water broken. I don't know what else it can be. It is clear, and not coming from the pee hole. Only one contractions since the breaking.   

I got to the hospital and had some non-painful contractions, that had increased to about 5 minutes apart.  My doctor wasn't on call, so I had another one. The doc wanted to start me on Pitocin and since I hadn't started to labor 5 hours after the water broke, I agreed. Upon entry into the hospital,   I was 3cm, 70%, but still “thick”.  So, at 1, I got hooked up to Pitocin, and by 130 the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, but not too painful.  By 3PM, I felt the urge to bear down, not push (it was just in my bottom). So I begged to be checked again.  Prior to this point we were in the chair/bed, just playing a game. I didn’t think I would have progressed too much.  But, I was pleasantly surprised when I was 6cm, 100% effaced, and the baby was engaged.  I decided to get the epidural then so it wouldn’t be too late. The anesthesiologist came right away, but my name wasn’t in the system so it took like 30 minutes of waiting for that.  By 345, the initial starter dose of the epidural was in, but as I went to lay down, I felt the most incredible urge to push.  It was a feeling in my bottom and front side, and there was no question of what I needed to do. I’ve never felt that sensation before, and  I tried to ignore the feeling because I figured that I was wrong since I had just been checked a few minutes prior.  The nurse took a look into my eyes (nurse-Kim) and decided to call the doctor. The doctor quickly got in, and checked me and said it was time and the baby was coming down.  Two other nurses came in, and I started pushing. The epidural never got plugged in, but I got some relief.  At the time, I thought any minute the epidural would kick in. Turns out that I was benefiting from a placebo effect because the epidural never got in.  I started pushing at 4, and Abby was born at 421.  The afterbirth came really quickly after she did, and was easy. Pushing was a little bit hard to get the coordination, but she was so ready to come out, that it still only took 5-8 contractions to get her out. The strangest thing about my labor is how quick it went.  I never went through the typical transition, and I only had that ring of fire for an instant because I was able, on the same contraction, to get her pushed out.  Abby got put on my chest right after birth and DH cut the cord.  It was perfect.  They checked her out and then I nursed within 20 minutes.  Abby weighed 7lbs 9 oz, and 20 ½ inches tall.  She is perfect.  9 and 9 on her Apgar.

The hospital stay was great, just 2 nights and I took full advantage of nursery care.  I got an adequate amount of sleep, and compared to my previous two births which both took multiple days, this was a breeze.  

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 9:58am
Congrads!!! :smileyhappy:
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 9:45pm

Congrats!  She sure made you wait, but I'm glad you still got to have a July baby.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 12:10pm

Yey congrats! so happy she is here! and that it went so so fast! can't wait to c pics! =)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 5:45am
Yay!!! So happy for you, congrats on your precious girl. :smileyvery-happy:
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2012 - 9:24pm
I'm so happy she is finally here! Congrats!