Baby Alexandra Arrived... in August! (+birth story)

iVillage Member
Baby Alexandra Arrived... in August! (+birth story)
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 6:48pm

Alexandra Grace finally made her appearance!

I was admitted to the hospital on 7/31 to begin the induction process with Cervidil. I was hooked up to monitors that night and the nurse said I was experiencing contractions, which I could barely feel. I thought to myself, If this is what labor is like, I can totally do this!

HA! My water broke at 5:30AM on August 1 and then the contractions really started. I was calling for the epidural after about an hour of laboring naturally. The pain was really distracting and I just couldn't focus enough to remember breathing, positioning, or anything! So much for "going natural" lol. Unfortunately, the epi didn't take evenly, so I still felt a lot of discomfort.

I was placed on Pitocin shortly thereafter. Baby didn't tolerate it well so it was alternately turned on and off to give my uterus a chance to relax and Baby a chance to recuperate. Baby also didn't tolerate any positioning changes on my part very well, so I would spend hours on my left side, which would cause my left leg to go completely numb while my right remained active and able to experience senstation. Positioned on my right, vice versa.

When my water had broken, I was still about 2cm dilated, which is just about how I had entered the hospital. At noon, I had still only progressed to 3cm. The nurse had told me getting to 4 usually took a long time, but after that, I could expect to dilate 1 cm/hr. I was so disheartened! I didn't feel I had the strength to go on for hours and hours like this. DH and I prayed for strength, and it helped. 

Around 2pm, DH went to call our families to let them know of my progress. The anesthesiologist visited and suggested increasing my pain medicine and adjusting the epi for more relief, which I agreed to. It did help, thankfully. After that, a nurse came in and checked me... AND I HAD DILATED TO 8 CM!!!!

Yes, in the span of just 2 hrs I had gone from 3 to 8 cm! There was quite a flurry of activity after that. My poor DH had only been gone a few minutes, but when he came back, the room was full of people and clearly the mood in the room had changed from patiently waiting to anxiously preparing. Baby was still experiencing some stress from the Pit, so that was again dialed back and I was given oxygen and (carefully) repositioned. The nurse told me that since the anesthesiologist had just upped my pain meds, I might not be able to push effectively, and since Baby was in some stress, a c-section might become necessary. I was so scared after that! I really wanted to avoid a c-section if at all possible. The nurse told me the OR was ready for me and even swabbed my abdomen with sterile solution "just in case."

After about an hour, Baby had stabilized enough and my Dr. recommended I try pushing. I pushed with all my might and my Dr., who is usually very stoic, said, "Wow! I'm hard to impress and you impressed me! You really are a good pusher! Let's have this baby!" So, I set about to pushing and 4 (!) contractions later, Alexandra Grace made her appearance. We were blessed with a happy, healthy, 7lb 20" baby girl.

We've had a few challenges since birth (breastfeeding challenges, then I had two more episodes of SVT at 3 and 4 days PP and had to go to the emergency room, which further exacerbated the BFing issues, then milk quality issues, so we've decided to FF, and now Alexandra is doing much better) but overall we are all doing well. As I said, we are truly blessed!!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! thanks for sharing your story! hope the problems resolve soon!

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013

iVillage Member

Thanks, for sharing your story. She is a doll! She was a good weight/length! Wow, I can't believe how fast you went from 3-8cm. I am totally freaked about about labor myself. I just told DH that I wanted to labor at home as much as possible. What a great pusher- four contractions, that has to be a record, LOL!

I'm glad everything's going well for you now. As much as we try to anticipate/prepare before hand you kind of just have to take it as it comes. It seems like you adjusted to motherhood naturally.

Congrats!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member

Yay!!! Congrats on your gorgeous baby girl, I am so excited for you. :smileyvery-happy: What a birth story, I'm glad everything went well in the end and you were able to avoid the c-section. And yay for them finally getting your epi adjusted right! LOL My labor nurse actually told me that getting an epi can help speed things up sometimes, like it did in my case, because it gives you a chance to relax and let your body do what it is supposed to without us tensing up all the time. I had a hard time using breathing and different positions too because my contractions were coming every minute when I was only 3cm dilated and I never got a break in between them to rest, so I did not go completely natural either, but now that it is done and over I am so glad I got the epi!

Hope that now things are calming down we will see you around more! :smileywink:

iVillage Member
congrats!

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member

Congratulations on your new little girl! She is so adorable. You are right pregnancy does go by fast.

iVillage Member
hooray, A.S., for a beautiful and healthy baby girl! congratulations, mama!!!

Diane

Expecting #1 (a boy!) on January 16, 2013