Asbestos in the basement

iVillage Member
Asbestos in the basement
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 10:08pm

So we just had half of our basement finished which I'm happy about. The other half is still unfinished, with our washer and dryer. DH was looking at the tile from the unfinished side and was concerned because it's so old. Some parts of the floor don't even have tile - it's just concrete. He took some samples (three different types of tiles that were here when we moved in - the house was built in the 1950s I think) and sent them to a lab. Sure enough, 2 of the three samples contain asbestos.

So that's great news and now we're trying to figure out what to do. We can't afford to buy more tile to cover it up yet. I read that if you don't disturb it, it's ok. Anyone have any experience with this?

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 10:00am

At this point, leaving it alone is the best option.

However, I am not certain that you will want to replace tiles yourself, or even be occupying your home when replacement takes place. That stuff becomes airborne and that's where the danger lies.

Look at the EPAs site on the subject (http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/help.html#home) and then if you have to/want to continue remodeling, find someone who can encapsulate or remove it properly. It could be costly, I'm guessing. That really stinks!

When we lived in NC, I started pulling down wallpaper in the foyer and found evidence of termites. Like whoa. When it came time to move here to TX, Libby and I had to do a lot of demo ourselves to remove the damaged walls and throw up new walls before we could put the house on the market ... it was atrocious and a money pit for sure. We're lucky we could do it ourselves and faced no danger other than being thoroughly grossed out. Hope you can find someone who can help without it costing you and arm and a leg. But, being safe is the most important thing.

Good luck!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 10:18am
Yes, as long as you do not disturb it, it will be okay. We also have some tile in our house that has asbestos in it, it was covered with carpet when my husband moved in so he did not know it was there. It is all thankfully covered now with foam padding and floating laminate floors. When we asked some professionals about it they told us it was safer to cover it than remove it ourselves before laying new floors, so that is what we did.

As long as it is covered by a new floor and not being disturbed it is fine to leave it in the house. It's when tiles start breaking apart and coming up when you need to worry because if you ever do decide to have it removed it does need to be done professionally and you would not want to be staying in the house while they do it or until the house is properly ventilated and cleaned after they are done.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 12:10pm

Thanks guys - ok, after last night's panic, that is what we're going to do - have them covered and not disturb them. It's a small area that actually has those tiles, so I think it will be ok. I've just had enough of being freaked out by every possible health and environmental threat

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-24-2012 - 3:37pm

Asbestos removal can be a real pain, and must be done with the utmost caution (like masks, and hazmat gear being worn).