Baby Registry Etiquette

iVillage Member
Baby Registry Etiquette
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 11:48am

Just curious where everyone stands on this: Do you put basic essentials like diapers, diaper rash cream and nursing pads on your lists?

I do, partly out of need to feel completely organized, and also because I thought that this is how it's done. Also, I know I get a discount with Babies R Us on anyhting that's not bought off my registry, so I figured I wanted to put it all on there.

I occasionally lurk on the Baby Canter forums, but I generally don't like the amount to aggression and just plain cruelty I keep seeing on some of those threads. Yesterday a woman had posted disappointment that not many people had bought presents off her registry, and there were about 30 responses calling her pathetic, greedy, etc. Someone asked her how dare she throw a baby shower and expect presents and I'm thinking, "Wait, what? Is it not a custom to bring a present with you when you attend a shower?"

But anyway, my question really comes down to: Do you just put cute things like clothing and wash cloths on your registry, or the actual logistical necessary stuff, ie diapers, etc. ?

BabyFruit Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 12:15pm
No- put the necessities! People are going to buy the cute stuff anyway so they might as well accompany it with something u can actually use!!

I'm thinking of making a registry even tho were not having a shower (its our 3rd baby) just to get te discount on the items afterwards! Haha
baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 12:19pm

To answer your question simply, it is NOT offensive to put stuff you really need on your registry. Sure you can add some cute stuff like clothes too, but people expect to see essentials on there too and actually love to buy them for you because they know you will NEED them.

This is our first baby so I put all the essentials. Blankets, bottles, bath tub, hooded towels, grooming/health care kit, car seat, stroller, pack and play, swing, bouncer, height chair, clothes, diaper bag, etc. Pretty much following the list Babies R Us gave us of essentials, but only putting stuff we know we are going to use on there. Some of the stuff on their list I know we have no use for, or we have already bought. Do we expect to get everything on on registries? No. But we know we can expect to get some of the higher priced items from our parents and siblings and wanted to make sure they knew what we wanted as far as brands go. We expect we are going to have to buy stuff after our showers and are prepared for that. But we wanted to put only stuff we actually NEED on our registry hoping to get some of that stuff instead of stuff we might not really need or want, like a bunch of toys or stuff we have already bought ourselves and would have to return. We figure if people do not want to buy what is on there, they will get something else instead and that is fine.

We have not put any diapers on our registry because we actually do not want to receive them as gifts. We have already started stocking up on our own. Keep in mind, you can always add additional things to your registry after your baby showers and get the discount, because I don't think you get that discount until after your due date anyway.That's what we plan on doing for diapers and wipes so we can get more for a good price.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 12:21pm
I know a lot of people that have done this! One friend waited until after her showers and actually put stuff for her house like a new vacuum on there so she could buy it herself and get 20% off.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 1:13pm

I guess I'm a practical kind of lady.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 1:52pm
Absolutely register for the necessities! Then people will know what brands you prefer, etc. And if someone wants to buy you a cute toy or outfit or whatever, they will whether you want them to or not lol. And I think BRU and Target usually send out their discount cards like a month before your due date if I remember right.

Yes if you attend a shower you are kind of expected to come w/ a present. That's usually the point of a shower, unless it's really just more of a "get-together" and that is specified on the invitation. I understand them saying "be greatful for whatever gifts you get whether they are from your registry or not" (though I know that can be kind of hard sometimes lol).
I don't understand why people DON'T like buying off of registries. If I'm buying someone a gift I want to make sure it's something they like/want and will use! (I kind of wish there were Christmas and birthday registries lol. It would make things so much easier for a lot of people.)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 2:27pm
LOL Shawna you can make them for Christmas and birthdays, I have before because I get sick of family members asking me what I want! ;)
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 3:19pm

That's a great idea, Shawna - it would make shopping for so many people so much easier.

I think after reading all the shock and outrage off of the Baby Center forum regarding the idea of putting nursing pads on the registry, it made me take a pause. Just wanted to make sure. I also have been following the Babies R Us and Target suggested lists.

Both of our parents have bought the big ticket items already, which I am beyond grateful for but there's still plenty we still need. I'm definitely prepared to buy what we need after the shower, but it would be nice if that list was just a little shorter than it is now.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 5:03pm
There were some more personal things I did not put on my registry, like a breast pump, pads, nipple cream, etc, stuff like that. The more I thought about it I just felt like that was all stuff I would rather get myself. Plus I know how some people will just use a registry as a reference and get other brands (I HATE that!), and those things I definitely want specific brands.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-21-2012 - 2:01pm

With my shower I registered for all my big ticket items as well as baby essentials.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-22-2012 - 7:39am
I put diapers and wipes on ours. However we have all the big items and the most expensive item on our registry is a $60 high chair.
 BabyFruit Ticker

Pages