Link between maternal obesity and autism

iVillage Member
Link between maternal obesity and autism
Tue, 04-10-2012 - 6:44pm

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 8:00am

IN all honesty, there hasn't been much that hasn't been linked to autism.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 10:18am
I read this article in the Huffington Post the other day. It had me and my husband talking just because we wondered if maternal obesity could lead to other illnesses and things like allergies and asthma in children.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 10:09pm
I have to agree, they say EVERYTHING causes autism now instead of trying to focus on what actually does. My youngest sister has autism and my mother was not obese while pregnant, she was not of older maternal age, and she was not premature either. There are no other immediate family members in our family with it either. I think they have a long way to go before they know what is really linked to Autisim and what is not
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 11:22pm

I didn't know that, Chey....how is she doing?

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 10:26am
I have two sisters, but Amber is the youngest and she is 10. My grandmother and I have recently switched her school to a different district and in the past almost two years she is doing great! The school system she is in now actually has teachers trained specifically to handle the different levels of children with autism where her other school really just had a special Ed teacher follow her around. Thank god she is on the high functioning end, so it's mostly behavioral fits and speech we are working on.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 10:54am

Thats what we deal with here, mostly, too.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 5:25pm
I don't believe that the "rise" in the number of kids w/ autism is because of some epidemic that is making more kids have it (whatever you want to believe that reason might be). It's just that more people are aware of it and more kids are being diagnosed earlier. Before, they were just given a very generic label/diagnosis. Now there is a whole spectrum they can fall on.
I did hear or read recently that there is a push to rein in the parameters for diagnosing someone on the spectrum because too many kids are getting the label that don't necessarily need it, as well as the services that go along with it. Yes, largely fueled by schools, etc who don't have the money to provide services for that many kids. I thought that was interesting.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 11:04pm
We finally have her able to ride a bus. Which is nice. Before it was just screeching about it being to loud it was awful. She still will not come in my house though with my son now.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 5:46am

I can't get Audrey to take pills.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 2:25pm
I am honestly scared of that time coming. She is not one to adapt to change well at all. Amber is the same way with goods. She will even pretend to gag of she THINKS she can smell something she thinks she does not like.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby