my nesting instinct is taking over my life!

iVillage Member
my nesting instinct is taking over my life!
Fri, 04-27-2012 - 11:21am

Ugh! OK so I may only be 28 weeks, but this pregnancy is FLYING by for me, and I am getting nervous! We were supposed to move out of this tiny apartment by now, and my DH (works for the National Guard) has been dragged along and sent in a million directions with his job- one mintue its one thing, and then another, and we havent been able to plan to move yet. Nor does the possibility look like it's going to be there until end of summertime. Our landlords here are starting to make us miserable and I cannot be stuck here in the house with a newborn on top of everything else!

baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-27-2012 - 11:44am

I'm sorry you are so stressed, I would be too! I know that cannot be easy being in such a confined space with 3 kids and no yard to even escape to, and bad landlords don't help any! Our house is pretty small too and I find myself getting overwhelmed with the lack of space and storage, and thinking to myself I have to fit all this baby stuff in here too! I will feel a lot better when my husband has more time off of work to finish the baby's room so I can get all the baby stuff put away that is just piled in my living room for now. Clutter makes me itch! LOL

Hope everything works out well and you are able to move soon and get some more room to breathe!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-27-2012 - 1:40pm

I felt a little bit like that with my last pregnancy.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 9:31pm
There are a lot of parks nearby and we make almost daily visits there so the kids can run off their energy! Its still a pain to even get the two of them out the door for a couple hours- bringing diapers and wipes and snacks and lunch and all that- I'm having trouble thinking that I'll have to plan to get 3 of them out the door!! Ugh! It's just not how I imagined it and my brain is going nuts trying to consider how crazy and exhausted I will be. My one goal for this week is to find swim lessons for my son so at least I have someplace to head to for a few weeks- and I've also been trying to find a free preschool for my dd. she is the tough one- my son is 5.5 and he would help me with anything I asked and he is a great listener and very obedient. Our daughter on the other hand, is an absolute handful! She's just one of those kids that needs constant stimulation, intense discipline, and always has lots of energy. Arg! Going crazy! Lol
baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-28-2012 - 9:35pm
The other thing is that we really have noplace to put this little one. Since its not my first I'm not worried about having a nursery or anything, I mean there is really no point when they will be in a bassinet in our room for the first few months anyway. But we have a teeny little 2 bedroom apartment. Our other two share a room, which is fine for now. And this one will be in a cosleeper bassinet in our bedroom (as long as we can get the elliptical machine that I never use out of there) haha!! But I'm just stressed about it all. And because I'm feeling so tired so much earlier this time, it makes me feel like the end is closer than I imagine!
baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-29-2012 - 5:15am

You will be ok : )   The adjustment from two to three is not as bad as the adjustment from one to two!  Really!!  And two year olds are the most stressful of all!!  My little guy sounds just like your little girl.  Into everything.  Always on the move.  Everytime I sit down to work on homework, for example, he comes up to me and says "No homework.  Put the book down."  LOL. SO DEMANDING.

The little one in the bassinet..we are doing that.  We did that with our little man, too.  We didn't even set up a crib until AFTER we moved and he was about three months old.  If you know you are moving, don't stress.  It will be fine!  (Oh, like you, I was frustrated with the arrangement, but glad that we didn't set up the crib becuase they are a pain to disassemble/reassemble.)

It all seems so overwhelming now, but you will get through it.  I am hoping that my two year old, who is just a month older than yours, will want to help do things for baby.  I'm pretty sure he will. Then, as long as he is helping (getting diapers, finding pacis, finding baby's toys), he will feel like he is getting attention AND will not be into everything because he will be occupied.

Does your library let you reserve items online?  Mine will have them for you at the check out desk and will email you when they are ready.  (Oh, going to the library is often a nightmare with my two year old.)  Anyhow, what I do is just reserve stuff online (I live near a big city that has lots of branches..so if an item isn't at one branch, they will send it to your branch of choice and let you know when it is ready to be picked up).  So, instead of having to go in and LOOK for things, I just go to the counter and pick stuff up.  (And that usually keeps the kids busy for one afternoon.)

OH, and how about the Wii?  Do you have one?   There are games available that your 2 year old might like..one of my favorites is the U Draw Studio...lets the kid "draw" on the tv and play with many effects.   Keeps him busy just like paper and crayons would, but no mess!  How about a DVR?  We record a few of Caden's favorite shows...we don't watch a lot of tv, but in a pinch, having an episode or two of Sesame Street on hand can help us get through a rainy afternoon.

One more thing...know what helps with the diaper bag issue/ forgetting stuff?  Having two!  Keeping one in the car at all times.  That way if you forget something, you are covered. Just rotate them!  I actually haven't used a diaper bag with my little guy for over a year.  I just always keep diapers and wipes in the car.  And if I am going on a longer trip, will bring along a change of clothes.  Of course, with a baby, you will need your diaper bag, but if you can just keep some of your oldest's stuff in the car, then you will really only have to worry about your baby's stuff on a daily basis.

Alright, having said all of this, I AM nervous about going from three to four..  See, we drive our kiddos to school.  I have one in high school, one in middle school, a two year old, andthis little one.  Our middle schooler has autism, and is NOT a fan of mornings. In fact, rarely a morning goes by without an outburst of some sort. Everyone in this house is in slow motion in the morning.  This year, it has been up to my husband to get the oldest one to school, as school starts at 7:15 and he doesn't go to work until 9:00.  Well, his schedule might change, and we might lose that ability to tag team, leaving me with four kids to get out the door in the morning.(On Friday, my high schooler actually had a detention for accumulating too many tardies to school, and my husband and her and are the only ones up at that early hour, so I can only imagine how things will be if I have to get EVERYBODY out the door at 7AM)  YIKES.

Anyhow, we will get through this.  You will get through this.   There might be some dyas where you wnat to pull your hair out, but all of those moments of snuggles and smiles will get you through the rough times.