Overweight Mamas, Weight Loss after Pregnancy Support

iVillage Member
Overweight Mamas, Weight Loss after Pregnancy Support
Wed, 12-07-2011 - 7:21pm

Hi Ladies! I thought it might be nice to have a support group for ladies who started out overweight before pregnancy or those who want to support each other on weight loss after pregnancy. :-D

A little more about me:

Weighed 265 when I got pregnant and wear a size 18.

Goal: A size 7 and whatever healthy weight goes with that.

I DO plan to breastfeed. I also plan to lose weight by walking, using an elliptical, and doing pilates after pregnancy.

I am expecting TWO babies and have been told I need to gain at least 18-25 lbs. If I were having one baby I would need to gain between 8-15 lbs.

I was 246 lbs at the beginning of my last pregnancy and I gained 8 lbs. I got down to 212 lbs by one year after Bella's birth. I breastfed her until two months old.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member

Hello there,

I to am overweight and have been most of my life.

Tami wife and mom to 2 boys Noah and Cohen and baby number 3 a girl on the way at the end of June.Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tami sounds like you have a good plan in place! I am rooting for ya!!!! I will be eating healthy and walking right alongside ya. ;-) You can do this, I know you can! - Mandie

Make your

iVillage Member
Thank you I hope I can gaining that much weight made me miserable and depressed. I just hope I can keep it up and stick with it.
Tami wife and mom to 2 boys Noah and Cohen and baby number 3 a girl on the way at the end of June.Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tami you are not alone! We can do this together!

Make your

iVillage Member

Thank you for starting this thread! I am in a similar situation. I lost about 30 lbs prior to TTC, but due to a variety of factors, my weight loss had stalled, and I was just about 200 (eep!) when I got my BFP. Ever since then, I have been too scared to weigh myself! I know I have gained weight because of the Thanksgiving holiday and back-to-back travel the weeks after. I have thankfully not experienced a lot of nausea, so have been eating normally. However, my energy levels have been soooo loooooow, I haven't been working out regularly, and for me, that is sure to cause weight gain.

I am really scared of gaining an excessive amount of weight or developing GD. My goals are to eat more healthfully, and with better portion control, throughout the duration of my pg, and workout 4x a week on the elliptical, walking, or doing gentle aerobics and maybe prenatal yoga. I was on the Weight Watchers program prior to getting pg... I'm wondering if there's some unofficial way to do a pregnancy version of that program, because it works so well for me.

GL to everyone who has the double challenge of pregnancy and weight control! We can do it!! :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Although I would not wish weight concerns on anyone, I am so glad that I am not alone in this. I was about 200 lbs when I got pregnant with my second child and overall I gained no weight with him... in fact I believe I actually lost weight. I gained weight at first, about ten lbs, then I lost it all. And he was a 9 lb baby! No GD with any of my pregnancies. It can be a little scary to face the weight gain that goes with pregnancy, esp when you are trying so hard to lose weight! Just remember that you are not alone, we are all here for each other! - Mandie

Make your