Circumcision?

iVillage Member
Circumcision?
Sun, 01-29-2012 - 9:15am
For some ladies this takes a lot of thought and research into what they will decide on. If any of you ladies have boys did you? Will you do it again? What are your ladies thoughts on this?
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cheyfri
Sun, 01-29-2012 - 8:58pm
My son is almost 6. We chose not to circumcize ("so he would look like daddy" didn't seem like a good reason to cut off part of his body). It looks like #2 is also a boy. Same decision. Don't regret it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-29-2012 - 10:30pm

My husband wants circumcision, but I don't. Agree with pp that "looking like daddy" isn't worth it. Luckily, DH will be deployed at the time of birth, and I'll get my way. My husband isn't hard over on having it done,

Photobucket,
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-29-2012 - 10:36pm
I agree with both of you ladies. Looking like daddy is not a good enough reason. It took me a couple days to decide if my son would be. I wasn't leaning either way and DF leaves it up to me. With my son I decided to. Even though it's extremely rare medical complications can be more common when it's not done and one of my cousins had to have it done as a teenager and id rather have it done as a newborn when he won't remember it then a teenager.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 12:16am
We chose to circumcise our son for medical reasons. I know that many people believe that there are no medical reasons for circumcision, but from personal experience I know that there is in some cases. A male relative had major health problems related to NOT being circumcised until he got it done at 28. After hearing about everything he went through, and knowing how much more awful it is to have to get a circumcision as an adult than as a newborn, we decided to do it with Alex. Amazingly, he did not even cry... I was expecting it to be the most awful experience as a mother. But he just blinked up at us while it was done. :-) Made me feel a lot less guilty.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 9:19am

We chose not to have it done with our son.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 11:31am
It's just not done here. Its not considered medically necessary and I wouldn't dream of doing it.
Photobucket Thank you vegiemama for my beautiful sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 11:34am

If we have a boy we will have the circumcision done. To me I would want it to be clean and don't want to get any infections. Actually, it surprises me how many people these days don't have it done. It seems to be 50/50 now.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 3:03pm
We had it done with my previous 2 boys and if this is a boy he will too. DH got to make this decision , but I happened to agree that I wanted it done as well.

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 3:59pm
If our baby is a boy we will not circumcise him. It is getting more rare in Canada. The last data I could find was 2006/2007 and it was only 31.9% for all of Canada. Only 12.3% in Quebec which is where I live.

"Circumcision is not medically necessary, and the Canadian Paediatric Society does not recommend routine circumcision for baby boys. After reviewing the medical evidence, including whether circumcision helps prevent health problems such as urinary tract infections, penile cancer, and sexually transmitted diseases, the CPS concluded that the benefits of circumcision do not outweigh the risks and costs." http://www.parentscanada.com/baby/development-and-milestones/circumcision-a-decision-you-have-to-make-for-your-baby-boy.aspx
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 9:26pm
I was actually shocked that in my childbirth class, we are the only ones who decided not to do it, here in liberal California. It's generally more than 50% are not circumcised anymore. My MIL is from Denmark, and they just don't do it there.

Pages