Downhill skiing - 1st trimester

iVillage Member
Downhill skiing - 1st trimester
Tue, 12-27-2011 - 12:17pm

Hello ladies,

I don't know if this is a hot topic or what but it certainly is around me... I got married on December 9th and we're about to go on our honeymoon in a couple of days - we're going skiing in the mountains. I know the risks of falling and I am only going to stick to "kiddie" hills and plan on skiing about 1 or 2 hours in the 3 days we'll be there. Anyway my friends and family are going berserk about my plans and saying I'm inconsiderate, etc. I am well aware that downhill skiing is dangerous at any stage of pregnancy but I'd rather be able to enjoy it a little now at 9 weeks than go after the holidays when my belly is sticking out (which in any case would be impossible, first of all I won't fit in my snowsuit much longer :P).

Have any of you BTDT moms have similar stories to share?

Cynthia

& Baby due July 25

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-27-2011 - 9:30pm
You aren't going to like my answer...but falling could hurt the baby and you really don't have any control over a freak accident where you could fall. In all likelihood, a fall would not hurt the baby since he/she is so well protected, but for me, it was a risk we didn't take (I too like to ski, jet ski, water ski, get pulled on the tube...and w/ 3 pregnancies in a short period of time, I've been w/o those things for quite some time :( ). With our first, I was about 16 weeks and they kayak company wouldn't even let me go on a kayak tour, or on a bumpy boat ride! I think the general feeling is "better safe than sorry". Sorry that this isn't the response that you hoped for!

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-29-2011 - 1:27pm

I don't know that I would do it, either...because you never know how your balance may be affected unexpectedly by pregnancy.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-01-2012 - 12:19pm
Hey Cynthia,

Congrats on your marriage and your pregnancy!

I'm going out on a limb here and saying if you're an experienced skier and stick to easy hills (no black diamonds, haha), then go for it. You can regulate your speed on skis and just take it slow and easy. If you can wear a little extra padding (maybe a helmet too?) that wouldn't hurt.

I am also doing a high-risk sport - I ride and train horses for a living. I had some family members freak, especially since I get paid to ride "dangerous" horses (ie, horses who someone else screwed up royally so it's my job to regain their trust). I am still riding at 12 weeks and even competed (and was the fastest ride of the day) at 6+ weeks. I'm going to slow down soon on the more inexperienced horses, but I plan to ride until my body tells me not to - probably around month 6. My doctor is completely happy with my choice and supports it, and as long as I don't decide to do anything rash (like gallop over a 4 foot jump on an inexperienced horse) I'm a-ok.

Think of it this way too....you could get really injured in a car accident or falling down the stairs...you can't live in a bubble.

If you're a novice skier, I wouldn't do it - I suck at skiing! But if it's something you're good at and love, and you won't overdo it, then I say go for it.

Make your 2011 *Sparkle!*

View My Jewelry Page

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 12:11am
I'm pretty sure I saw that you didn't go skiing so this is probably on the late side. But my husband and I had a ski trip planned before I got pregnant. This would have been the first time since 4th grade. We decided pregnancy is not the best time to pick it up. I was pretty bummed. But this is life I guess. If something were to have happened I would never be able to forgive myself for being so selfish.
That being said, a friend of mine was pregnant and went snowboarding several times. But she was experienced....and didn know she was pregnant until month 5. But he is now a spunky little 4 year old.

Photobucket