How old is to old to be nursing your LO?

iVillage Member
How old is to old to be nursing your LO?
Sat, 03-17-2012 - 8:22pm
What do you ladies think? Do you agree with children even 3 and up still nursing
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 6:55pm
Eh... not so much. I understand that during Biblical times children were often nursed til they were around 7 years old... but those were different times and they had different needs culturally, nutritionally, etc. I think in today's day and age it is impractical and might be difficult to teach a child appropriate physical boundaries while still nursing a child over the age of 3. I could not possible nurse my seven year old son... honestly the thought of it is just ridiculous to me. I have a hard enough time keeping that boy's eyes and hands to himself ha ha ha. He is a lover, quite the ladies' man already. That being said, a friend of mine had a son who had severe and I do mean SEVERE allergies and she ended up nursing him until age 3 or so then gave him pumped breast milk for a couple years longer because it took a very long time to do all the allergy testing and other things necessary to figure out what he COULD eat. I believe she did was was best for her son and he is all grown up now, totally normal at 19 years old with no emotional scars lol. My plan was to breastfeed my first two until they were a year old. Ariana had a terrible latch that was never fully corrected and I stopped nursing her completely around 4 or so months. Alexander lasted til he was one, although is was more for comfort after 9 months. I learned a lot more about breastfeeding before having Bella and was dedicated to nursing her until she either weaned herself or until 2 1/2, whichever came first. Unfortunately I ran out of milk with her when she was about 5 months old. So this time I think again I am going to aim for that 2 1/2 mark unless baby weans earlier. Anything older than that would just be too weird for me. I understand the health benefits and have talked it over with more than one pediatrician. They have each told me that 2 1/2 is a fantastic goal but also not to feel like I have failed if I can't do it that long. I mean..... even trying when you have no medical reasons not to is a really fantastic benefit for each child. Those parents out there dedicated to nursing after age three (with no real medical reasons to do so) get to make their own decisions. Is it appropriate for my children and my culture? Nope. I don't think it is appropriate for anyone really in the culture I live in ... but to each their own and kudos to every mom who breastfeeds to begin with!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 8:14pm

I do not find it strange at all to be nursing a preschooler.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 10:44am

I'm a closet nurser.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 4:15pm

I definitely say to each their own, but personally I would not nurse any of my children that long. Now pumping and giving it to them would be another thing to consider, but actually having them nurse on me, no. This is my first baby, so having never nursed before my goal is to nurse until at least 9 months. I would like to make it a full year if possible. But I already plan on not exclusively breast feeding. I am going to get a pump and when the baby is a little older will drink from breast milk from bottles too so that if I need to leave my husband or family member can feed him. As of right now our plan is for me to stay home with him anywhere from 6 months to a year before I go back to work. So when I do end up going back to work plays a role in that too. The sooner I want to get out of this small house and into a bigger one, the sooner I have to go back to work. But I will not leave him before 6 months unless asbolutely necessary, like if my husband was no longer working.

My SIL breastfed my nephew until he was slightly over 3 years old. It was embarassing to them, especially my brother, because I think they wanted to keep it a secret, but he ALWAYS asked for it, even in public. And it made it very difficult for them to leave him with any babysitter, especially over night because he would cry the whole time asking for her because he wanted to nurse.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 7:11pm
Michelle I know exactly what CP is as DF has it. I never even thought of that benefit! That's great she was able to get all that nourishment for so long! If you do mind me asking, how does her CP effect her? With Dexter it's his legs as well.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 12:50pm

Callie has spastic diplegia cp (meaning it is in both of her legs).

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 4:33pm
So glad to hear she is doing so well =] what a strong little miracle she is. DF did not walk at all until he was five. And we had to teach him how to again after surgeries at 18 and 23. DF has almost the same except he is also blind in his right eye. He actually had a physical today and I get so mad when they try to force his legs to bend and I know that after all his surgeries this hurts him so much >_< he had surgery on different muscles in his legs so much that the poor man is so scared of the doctors.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 4:39pm
By the way I LOVE the blog of your little girl. Very inspiring and she is such a beauty
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 5:19pm

For Callie's diagnosis, 4-5 years old is AVERAGE for learning to walk...so he was right in with average it sounds like.

Sorry to hear about the surgeries and such.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 7:22pm
I will be praying ALOT that she is able to avoid everything DF has had to get. His gait is very abnormal, and has gotten worse just in the 6 years I've known him. It's still a learning experience every day I find, as he is still learning and practicing new skills and adapting to the wear and tear on his body. His gait is almost that of the classic frakenstein. I know it kills me having him being the one with CP but I think I would be devastated if it was my child. I have no idea how his mother was able to do it at 15 when she had him. I do know I wish there were more people who understood what CP is and were not so ignorant about it. The ignorant comments, snide remarks and stares are very hard to ignore sometimes. =|
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby

Pages