‎"If You Can’t Afford Contraceptives, Don’t Have Sex.

iVillage Member
‎"If You Can’t Afford Contraceptives, Don’t Have Sex.
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 4:10am
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Honestly although I respect the points made in the arguments, I believe that affordable birth control should be available to everyone. I would also say after watching many episodes of 16 and pregnant that there are many cases where abstinence should be the form of birth control. However, what about people like me? I take excellent care of my children and I have had two major surprises despite using birth control. While I was not planning my babies I certainly take responsibility for them and I am raising them right. If I cannot get affordable birth control I will be practicing abstinence (which I am going to be doing for quite awhile anyways) because I really do not want to have another child as a single mom. But there are young couples all over our country both married and not married, who are trying to be responsible by using birth control. When affordable birth control no longer becomes available to them should we expect them to be abstinent? I don't think that is really fair. We already have the highest teen pregnancy rate than any other other industrialized country. Taking away this option to be responsible from teens and other people who are not in a good situation to have a child will only make that situation worse. There are a lot of people who are NOT like me. If affordable contraception is not available to them, it will not make them automatically practice abstinence. Not everyone has that kind of self-control. And if these insurance companies do not want to pay for a bunch more pregnancies, births, and new babies, then they probably should not be changing their policies on paying for birth control. Just sayin..... and honestly do we really want our already extremely high rate of abortions performed to become higher? That is another thing we will see an increase of. I really doubt anyone wants that, even those that are Pro-Choice. I mean... abortion was never meant to be used as a form of birth control. But take away other affordable options to prevent conception and we will see both an increase in unwanted pregnancies and an increase in abortions. Which to me is quite sad.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
I am going to agree. Condoms are not very expensive. It bugs me that people who low income, on state assisted insurance get free or greatly reduced scripts, however they are statically the highest population that cannot afford babies. I work for a big city hospital and my insurance BLOWS. I believe that if yoy know you could get pregnant and can't afford it , show some self control.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Very good points Mandie!! I actually happened to be on birth control when I got pregnant with Carsyn. Taken religiously same time every day. However, my pharmacist never checked and my migraine mess counteracted it. Personally I am Catholic and have never personally really liked the thought of using birth control. And still dont. But I know we do not want another any time soon and we are DEF pro life so it really is my only option to make sure that we are not blessed with any unexpeccted miracles anytime soon. I mean there are always condoms, but let's be honest, yuck.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member

Contraception shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and should be available to low income individuals.

iVillage Member
I have to say, I pretty much agree w/ Kathryne. Yes things happen no matter how good BC you use (even sterilization fails once in a while!). And yes it would be MUCH cheaper to pay for BC for someone than a kid.
However, condoms are not that expensive, and there are plenty of places/programs where most people can get free or very cheap BC. I got my BC pills through Planned Parenthood for free for like 3 years! Plus condoms, lube, even Plan B just in case I ever needed it! So while it is not really practical to expect people, especially married couples, to not have sex at all, they do need to think about their financial situation and their priorities.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

As someone who can't take traditional birth control, I do know there is a way to be smart about what you're doing.

iVillage Member

I think women should be much more trained on how our bodies work.

iVillage Member
I know what you mean...... I HATE condoms. The spermicide and lube in those things makes me break out... DOWN THERE... ha ha ha. Talk about a mood killer. Honestly I am not going to be having sex until I am in the "right" situation again. I mean, with a ring on my finger and living with my man and all that jazz. REAL COMMITMENT. And when that happens I will use the most appropriate form of birth control for us whether insurance covers it or not. Then IF and WHEN we are ready for a baby together we will plan it. But until that event happens, this ride is closed lol. And I will be responsible about having sex whether I am married or not. But really there are just not a lot of people out there with that kind of self-control. And there should be a whole lot more. Like you, Cheyenne I got pregnant while on birth control because I was taking migraine meds called Topomax. NO ONE EVER told me it could counteract my birth control. I was SO mad!!!! Walgreens was where I had both filled. My doc knew I was on BC. And yet..... it was never mentioned. Now I am really obsessive about researching a new med, because I have learned to be proactive about my health. But it just does not seem fair sometimes, does it?

Make your

iVillage Member
Herege, YES!!! I know exactly what you mean! I am one of those people who had to apply for all that assistance early in my pregnancy. I actually had to quit my job because of a brain injury. It was affecting my ability to react, and I drove all the time. I had 6 car accidents last year alone. I saw a neuropsychologist who said I'm sorry but you have got to find a new career. Before I could get into a new career, I found out I was pregnant and lost one of my twins. Things have gotten progressively harder during my pregnancy. I am now on Medicaid, Food Stamps, the cash-assistance program here called TANF, and I am barely making ends meet while on bed rest with three other children at home to take care of. It drives me NUTS that I am in this situation and sometimes I just want to mentally smack myself for the choices that landed me here. However, now that I am here I see SO many people getting these types of public assistance who have made it their LIFESTYLE. They work the program and get benefits they don't deserve. Which means less for the people who DO really need it. I have the opportunity while in this program to go back to school and finish my degree, to get internships and other job opportunities. The goal of this program is to get parents back into a place of self-sufficiency. But people get comfortable in this system and don't want to work for their bread. I am disgusted with those people and it gives me even more motivation to achieve whatever I can while getting this kind of help because it is meant to be temporary! I actually know some people who live in one town over and boasted about how much cash they were getting from the government every time they added a child to their family. They live in a house for free, they get twelve hundred dollars a month in food stamps, and they get over nine hundred a month in cash assistance. Everyone of course is on Medicaid. The dad spends the money on booze and the mom is like, why use birth control when we can get more money for another baby? OMG. Seriously.... I walked away from that barbecue with a whole new perspective about people milking the system. It's just gross. The issue with these people isn't even that they cannot afford birth control, because trust me they can get it for free. They just don't want to use it. :( Which I think is really sad.... cause the college girl living next door to her WISHES she could get affordable birth control so her and her young college kid hubby did not have to worry about an accident with a condom... they know they are not ready for kids and want to be responsible. But the college insurance plan? It won't cover birth control, even for married students. Sucks.

Make your

iVillage Member
Oh Michelle that is so sad what you went through as a child and as a mom losing her babies. I think the system can be very abused and as someone who DID have to get assistance once I got pregnant, it's a bittersweet blessing. It was SO humbling to have to do that but I really had no choice. However, I will tell you that after having two babies with my ex husband who abandoned us all, then one baby with my ex-fiance who abandoned us all, and now pregnant with #4 with another fiance who simply bailed... I have come to the realization that I have to do things entirely differently. I have already decided I am not having sex again til I get married, if I ever do. And then we will do it very cautiously if and until we want a baby together. I won't be sad if that never happens... but I will be happy if it does. But you better believe I am going to super-careful about getting pregnant again until it is the "right" situation. My parents keep telling me that the right man is someone I will meet in church. Ha ha! I am starting to believe them. :-)

Make your

Pages