Tattoos during Pregnancy

iVillage Member
Tattoos during Pregnancy
Mon, 01-16-2012 - 2:30am

I have always wanted a tattoo... but never really figured out what I wanted until very recently. It does not seem like the best time to get a tattoo. However, all the research I have done seems to point to tattoos during the 2nd and 3rd trimester to be fairly safe. I remember some ladies in my Nov 09 EC getting tattoos during their second trimester. I am very interested in doing it... but I wondered if anyone here has any experience with this? I know there is a risk of contracting an infection, as with any tattoo. But that is the only danger I can see besides possibly being denied for an epidural if I get one on my back. Anyone know much about this?

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-16-2012 - 5:18pm
I wouldn't just in case of an infection.I would wait until after delivery.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-16-2012 - 8:36pm
See there would be the same risk afterwards because if I DID get an infection it could be transmitted through breastmilk.. so it looks like I may have to wait til I am done BFing... ugh

Make your

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 8:33am
I would. I love them and have 4 myself.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 8:27pm

In addition to the concern about infection, you also have to worry about your body changing after pregnancy and the tattoo looking different.

<*KATJA*> My Ovulation Chart
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 7:12pm

I have 3 and they're all in stretching areas.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 10:00pm
Mandie, dunno if you looked at me or Dexters pictures but we both are heavily tattooed and I am certified to pierce. You will find most artists will not touch a pregnant women because there is always the risk of infection that could be serious to the baby. I'm surprised women from one of your boards found ones willing to do it. While you are right the only risk is the infection I would say it's not worth it. I had an appointment with my artist to finish my sleeve and that day found out I was pregnant with Carsyn. So I've been waiting almost two years by the time I have this baby to finish it. Dexter actually got a tattoo this summer that rejected the ink and became severly infected and if you look at him he has two full sleeves. So it can randomly happen no matter how many you have. However I am so glad to hear more and more women are interested in tattoos. I always get people who look at us like were freaks because of how much ink we have. But hey, we'll be the most colorful parents in kindergarten right? Lol!
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 10:02pm
Oh I also meant to put, I have them on the the back of my neck and my lower back and wasn't an issue with the epidural although mine came undone? So I never actually got the meds with Carsyn. OUCH
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 10:03pm
Ashley- I have one on my right foot. I lOVE it! I didn't think the pain was to bad at all.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 10:47pm
Yeah I love it! I still might do it... have not made up my mind yet. I feel like this baby has already been through so much already and I am creeping towards high risk, so it just would be wrong to do it. But I don't mind waiting! It is worth the wait. Guess I could wait til delivery and if I get an infection I can always pump and dump til it clears. But as challenging as breastfeeding is for me in the first place, I still may not do it til the baby weans himself. Guess we will see. I tend to make snap decisions sometimes but I am really mulling this one over!

Make your

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 10:49pm
Oh my gosh that must have been painful! I had an epi with Ariana but with Alex they got the needle in and had to pull it right back out cause he started crowning when I sat up! So no meds for me in that one. And with Bella I did it 100% natural but I was more worried about slowing my labor down so I would not have her the same day my nephew died. (I went into labor right after my dad called me and told me what had happened.... naturally)

Make your

Pages