Harper has arrived!

iVillage Member
Harper has arrived!
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 10:44pm

Hello ladies, well it wasn't long since my last post...Harper Quinn was born on 4/16 at 5:27 p.m. weighing 1 pound, 6 ounces and 12 1/2 inches long. She let out a little cry for mommy and it was music to my ears! She is currently in the NICU and doing VERY well for her age and size!

Last weekend, some events started to unfold that were pointing us in the direction of thinking that I was becoming infected...this was definitely a major concern from Day 1 and we had evaded it for awhile. On Saturday, I thought that my cervical stitch had come out, it turns out it was a stitch from one of the previous girls being born. The dr. rushed out to the hospital and we decided to do an amniocentesis to test her fluid for infection just to be safe. My white blood cells had began to rise after the steroids, which is expected, but they should lower. Mine just kept going up...

The amnio came back that the white blood cells were present in her fluid and the Glucose was getting low, but no bacteria. I started to feel really terrible on Saturday night and all day/night Sunday. Sore, achy body, chills, sweating, and overall "not good" feeling. The doctors were thinking that I was possibly coming down with something, because I had no fever and my body wasn't showing the "classic" signs of infection. On Monday, I pushed the dr. to do another amnio. A couple of hours later the results came back that the white blood cells were high, Glucose was even lower, and there was bacteria present. He said "you ready to have a baby?"

Of course I wasn't ready, she was 24 weeks and 6 days! But I knew that it was no longer safe for her to be in my body, so we had no choice to deliver her. I was prepped for a c-section pretty quickly and it was honestly the scariest time of my life. My husband sat by my side while they were working to get her out. Once she was born, the NICU staff worked on her for a few minutes and she cried!

She was very active and breathing on her own! My husband followed them down to the NICU and updated me with pictures and videos throughout the evening. I was in a ton of pain after the spinal started to wear off, and I couldn't feel my body from the chest down. There was no way that I could see her that night, which was terrible for me. My mom and dad, Nana, and in-laws were able to make it for her birth and visited her that night, everyone was elated!

I saw my baby at about 10:00 a.m. the next morning and I honestly can't believe that she's ours. She is so tiny and perfect, and has a head full of dark hair! Everyone keeps telling us that despite being a preemie, she's actuallty cute as a button!

The nurses and Neonatologist have been awesome. Harper continues to do very well. We had a minor bump Tuesday evening and she had a chest tube inserted into her chest cavity because the oxygen was escaping her lung and causing it to collapse. They repaired it and she already had the chest tube removed today! She is on minimal oxygen, and on a very low setting with the breathing tube. She could breathe on her own, but would get very exhausted doing so. They are already talking about trying to wean her off of it soon and try some other methods of "reminding" her to breathe.

Every day is a milestone, and we hope that she has many great days and very little bumps in the road. We are prepared for the journey and although it's going to be so difficult to be away from her, this is the best place for her.

Thanking everyone for their positive thoughts and prayers. I will update everyone soon and hope that you all continue on to meet your healthy babies...

*~*Taryn

DH (26) and I (25) have been married since May 15, 2009 and TTC baby #1 since

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 9:36pm

Congrats on your baby girl!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 3:36pm

Congrats!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-23-2012 - 11:09am

Congratulations! Update with a picture of sweet Harper when you can. So glad she's doing so well.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-22-2012 - 9:57pm
PP&T. Congrats on the birth of your baby

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-22-2012 - 1:33pm

Taryn,

I am so sorry she has come so early, but so happy to hear that she is doing well.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-21-2012 - 11:37pm
Congratulations! Sending lots of p & pt to you and baby Harper!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-21-2012 - 9:45pm
I was so happy when I saw your post about Harper! Congrats!! I hope she is doing well and thriving in the NICU. Our first was 2lbs 9oz, so I am all too famiar with small babies and NICUs. Bumps in the road are to be expected, so try not to let them discourage you. We had lots of bumps, but a month later, we were home with our baby! He's a heathly 4yr old now! I am in Wellesley and will delivery at Brighams. I assume Harper is not in Boston, as you mentioned they might move you to Boston. How are you doing now? I hope you are healing so you can focus on your little miracle! Congrats again!!
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-21-2012 - 9:22pm

Congrats!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-21-2012 - 12:23pm
Wow! Taryn I am so glad that she is doing so well and I will continue to pray for you guys. This post just brought tears to my eyes because I know how much you have gone through and what a joy it must be to finally meet her even though it is so early. We are rooting for you guys and thinking about you! (((HUGS))) And of course, we won't stop praying for her to continue to develop and healthy in the NICU and be ready to go home when she's a little bigger. :-)

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-21-2012 - 12:12pm

Taryn: So happy your lil girl is doing greeat, and with the help of God, she will continue to grow and become stronger day by day! I will continue to pray for you girls, and read your updates! Be blessed and please keep in touch! <3

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Pages