Braxton Hicks Contractions

iVillage Member
Braxton Hicks Contractions
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 10:48am

I've been having them for a couple of weeks now, but very rarely. This past week they picked up and two nights ago I had four in the span of a two hours.

I already spoke to my doctor's office - they said if I'm getting them 5 an hour or they're painful, then it's considered a possible emergency and possibly pre-term labor. Otherwise, it's considered normal.

I'm also working on staying hydrated. They said as long as exercise doesn't make it increase, I can keep exercising.

I was curious where everyone else is with experiencing these? For the BTDT moms, did you find that they increased as you went along?

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 6:45pm
I have had them all the way thru all my pregnancies. I'm 18 weeks now and I have them rarely. I had them as early as like 16 weeks with my other two. And they did get more frequent the further along I got. I would say there were definitely days when I would have 5 or more an hour but they were never painful. My doctor never said anything about the frequency- just if they ever got painful it could be preterm labor. But like I said I got them ALL the time and never had a problem. But also my son was born at 36 weeks so maybe by that point it made labor come on a little early.
baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 9:33pm
Awesome your doctor's office was so forthcoming with the signs of pre-term labor. Too frequently they brush it aside as to not alarm mommas, but knowledge makes you a more informed momma who can make decisions for her lil' one.

Contractions associated with PTL do not need to be painful to be serious. Ours weren't and I was dilated already. What's important is the frequency, a feeling of pushing down, change in vaginal discharge, and doesn't have to be all the symptoms.

There's a great resource here: http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/pretermlabor_signs.html

It's such a serious issue, I'm glad you brought it up on the board, great for all mommas to know about! :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 11:58pm
In my experience, they do increase in intensity as well as frequency. I have soooo many of them. I have way more than 5 an hour when they strike, and sometimes they are rather painful. (Part of the reason for my bed rest). However, this is my 6th pregnancy and 4th baby so it is not unusual for me to have so many, and some strong ones. ;-) What you are experiencing sounds very normal to me. Welcome to motherhood! How is your hubby doing, Lucy?

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 12:26pm

Hey Mandie - he's hanging in there. Still a lot of fatigue and some pain, but his mood has improved. His next big scan will be in April. I'll keep everyone posted.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 8:09pm
I think I've had one but I'm not sure. When I woke up this morning my uterus felt like a hard ball. It went away when I rolled onto my side. Not sure if that was a braxton hicks!
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-23-2012 - 11:02am
Sounds like it could have been! I get them a lot when I'm laying down. Later in pg I get them more from standing for too long!! But just keep in mind it's good practice for the real thing. With my first I only pushed for 30 mins. With my second I only pushed for 5!!
baby
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 7:24pm
You know, I don't recall having them w/ Kira. Or if I did, I didn't know what they were and just thought it was her moving or something, lol.
But I have definitely had a few this time around, not frequently at all though. It just feels like your stomach gets really hard for a minute or so. Good to know about the frequency and stuff though!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 1:38pm
Just this past week I have noticed them a couple times. It's usually when I am laying down or reclined.