BTDT: Glucose Screening - Need advice

iVillage Member
BTDT: Glucose Screening - Need advice
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 9:10pm

My test is this Wednesday early in the morning. The doctor's office told me to stop eating at 9pm the night before. It's a two hour test. My doc said that the one hour test can give false positives and he doesn't want to have to send me back for a three hour test, so he prefers the two hour test.

I've never heard of this before but ok.

BabyFruit Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 10:09pm
I have never done a 2 hour test but had to do a 1 hour early on which was elevated so I had to then do a 3 hour which was not fun but came back ok. I have another 1 hour at the end of the month so I'm hoping it all goes well. I drove myself and brought a book and ipod to keep me busy. I also brought some snacks for after which helped and had water while I was waiting they said not to drink a lot but some water was ok. I never felt dizzy just hungry and bored. Good luck.
Tami wife and mom to 2 boys Noah and Cohen and baby number 3 a girl on the way at the end of June.Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 8:15am
I had to take the three hour one and it wasn't too bad. Just boring. And the techs were eating caramel popcorn the whole time. I was pretty upset about that. They should know better than to eat wonderful food in front of a pregnant lady who can't eat for hours! My mom went with me to keep me company and I think she drove, but I can't remember feeling like I couldn't. We were just in her car. Good luck!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 9:33am
Great questions! I was wondering the same thing because I know after I see the doctor next week she will probably send me for mine. I will definitely have to take some snacks for after the test to eat before I drive because I am one that gets a little dizzy and sick feeling just fasting for a normal blood test that I just have to show up for, give the blood and leave right after.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 10:00am

Thanks everyone - did everyone have to fast starting the night before?

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 10:37am

Yes, this is my 3rd baby and with both of my other glucose tests I had to quit eating at a certain time the night before. With my first pregnancy I didnt know this and pigged out on twinkies the morning

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 3:36pm
Sorry I've only done the 1 hour test! I was only 7 weeks when I did it. I didn't know i was going to be doing it (thought I was only going for a blood test) so I had brought my breakfast (toast lol) with me. They let me eat the toast, then immediately take the juice and wait for an hour. So i'm not sure!!
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 5:04pm
I've only done the one hour test and I only have to stop eating an hour before I drink my drink and try to drink it around 45 min before I show up to my appointment so they can get my blood 1 hour after I finish it
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 7:21pm
A good reframe for the test... since it's really annoying to just sit around the office/lab for so long is the drink is sooooo sugary it makes baby go nuts so you just get to relax for a few hours and feel baby do a whole gymnastics routine. :)

I did a 1 and a 3 hour in previous pregnancies... I don't remember feeling dizzy after, but the drink does make you feel kinda yucky for a bit... then you kinda feel like you could run a marathon but don't want to since you haven't eaten anything! :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 12:38am
Hmmm never had one of these... I have only ever done the one hour test. :-/

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 8:58am
So I'm sitting here feeling a bit dizzy but the main issue is a headache. I already had my first round of blood drawn, I drank the drink and will have the second draw in a few. Exciting stuff :)
 BabyFruit Ticker

Pages