Cytotec for Induction. (Misoprostol)

iVillage Member
Cytotec for Induction. (Misoprostol)
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 8:40pm

For years I have heard about Cytotec being used to induce labor. I had doctors talk to me about their use of it if I were to need to be induced. Thankfully, I never was induced. However, I have recently researched this drug since I heard some nurses talking about it during my birth center tour. It is considered very dangerous for pregnant women and their babies and is NOT approved by the FDA for use to induce labor. Yet doctors and nurses are administering this drug all over the US to induce labor, often time without informed consent from the mothers, and sometimes without their knowledge. I would highly recommend that if you are considering induction for this pregnancy that you make sure your doctor does not prescribe this drug for induction. It can cause uterine rupture and even fetal and maternal death. There are other options for safely inducing pregnancy, so I hope you all research your options!!!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 6:02pm
Thank you for the info! That is actually one of my only fears of labor, I REALLY do not want to be induced because I have heard so many horror stories about it and how it can often lead to c-sections anyway. I would like to do this as naturally as possible. Would anybody care to share their induction stories so I can get some more insight into the process and what it is really like?
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 7:17pm
Me too! Now, I understand that there are reasons why sometimes inductions just have to be done. I am hoping my new doc will chill out if I go overdue and just let my baby get big and stuff as I have already had three and one of them was over 9 lbs. However, I think the most important thing about inductions is KNOWING what is going on with your own body, what the doctors are putting into your body, what the risks are, and how it might effect you. It appalls me that many doctors are still using medications for inductions that are simply not approved, not safe, and they don't tell their patients about the risks. I feel a lot more confident now that if I do have to be induced for a valid reason then I will be giving informed consent for the methods my doctor will use. I am 3 for 3, so more than likely this won't happen to me. But I have learned that when it comes to pregnancy, labor, and deliver - it pays to be prepared! My first birth I was very young and just had done done my research. I had no clue what I was doing and just did everything the nurses told me to. I had no idea that I had any choices... I was so naive!

My baby sister was induced both times. Both times she had babies that simply got stuck in the birth canal. She went about a week overdue and checked in the night before to start her Pitocin drip. She labored for 36 and 34 hours for each labor, got all the way to the finish line - and ended up having a C-section anyways. I feel bad for her that she did not get the labor experience that she wanted but glad that the doctors knew after three hours of pushing she just was not going to get those big babies out. Her boys were both over 8 lbs and she is only 5 feet tall. So I think the docs made a good decision there. Unfortunately when you begin using interventions there tends to be a snowball effect. She started Pitocin which got very painful and she became tired laboring for so long. So she got an epidural and could not feel to push the babies out. After hours of trying to push she simply became exhausted and could not push anymore. Who knows if she would have ended up having C-sections if she had let labor begin naturally? Again, the babies were a bit on the big side so it is hard to tell.

My mother was on Pitocin with my older sister and labored for 17 hours with no pain meds and she said it was pretty intense. The other three of us she had totally naturally and she said it was a much better experience for her. Also, my older sister would never nurse properly and my mother thought that the Pit may have been part of the reason.

I have had all three of my babies naturally, and the experiences without epidurals were far more satisfying than the one when I had an epi. But every woman, labor and baby is different. :-)

Make your

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 7:21pm
I was induced with both of mine and will be again. I had drug free births with both. I was in labor for 6 hrs with Natalie and 2 hrs with Aiden. Not all inductions are horror story's. It's like any drug what works for some might not work for all. I will be induced at 38-39 weeks and comfortable with my decision. :)
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 7:24pm
Ps I just wanted to add Natalie was induced on her due date and Aiden was 3 weeks early due to a severe asthma/ clot issue for me.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 1:52pm
My dr's policy is to induce at 39 weeks if you have gestational diabetes that required meds to control. He says that it puts you at a higher rate of stillbirth so he would rather get em out than kkep them in that last week. So needless to say I was induced. However, when I went to the hospital I found out that this was considered an elective induction. I know my body wasn't ready to have her at that point. I started pic at 330 pm at 430 am I was only a 3. At this point they were mentioning different things that might happen if I didn't progress. So after so long with little progress I gave in and got the epidural thinking it was going to be a looooong ride to ten. But the nurse said that sometimes your body stresses out so much from the pain that it doesn't dialate. She must have been right. They checked me again at 6 and was a full 10. She was born at 633. So basically the first 12 hours sucked and the last two went by fairly quickly...which was kinda a bummer because it was the only time I felt comfortable enough to sleep!

I hope I can go into labor on my own this time. I really want to know what a real labor feels like instead of a fake?? One. I feel like I went into it not knowing all the facts. I know them now and will be a lot more voiceful when this time comes.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 2:44pm
It is always so frustrating when unexpected things happen. And there are some really good reasons for induction. I had a large baby (No GD but large nonetheless) and he WAS stillborn, although they were able to revive him as he had only just become stillborn. He actually had his heart stop, came out blue and still, and was not breathing. So I get the risks. But it is hard on a mom when you cannot just allow things to happen naturally. :( I also experienced a similar situation with my epidural with my first baby. After I got it, the progress was so fast! I stopped puking for one, which means I was able to push her out and not so weak that I could continue the labor. It was a good reason to get an epi. But I can also say that I enjoyed labor so much more when I had no interventions, no emergencies, and no pain meds. Ha ha ha. I wish I could have things that way again this time, but we will just have to see! Either way, I know I am not going to let my doctor use Cytotec on me.

Make your