Decreased fetal movements while sick?

iVillage Member
Decreased fetal movements while sick?
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 9:37am

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I am AGAIN coming down with something. I'm not sure if it is another cold, or if it is just allergies, but I went to bed last night with a sore throat and woke up this morning with a sore throat and stuffy nose. I took some Tylenol for my throat but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot. Baby Jackson has been kicking up a storm the past week and a half, but I noticed yesterday he was not moving as much. He did have one short very active period last night right before bed, but then was quiet all night and still pretty quiet this morning. The last time I had a cold he did not move much either. So I am just wondering if this is normal or not?

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 1:42pm

I don't know if it's normal or not but I've been really sick and have noticed the same thing. My Dr. told me to take Benadryl and I was so reluctant to take it. I read online and talked with the Pharmacist because I was so scared to take it. Then, after I took it I was so paranoid about not feeling the baby move I got out my heartbeat monitor to feel him. My Dh made fun of me and said the baby is fine! lol

I hate taking anything when I'm pregnant even tylenol. This is my 3rd baby and I get paranoid every time. I guess that's normal ;)

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 9:44pm
I am the exact same way I have had a cold for almost 4 weeks now and have been miserable. I neti pot and drink lots of water but I also hate taking anything and my doc said I could take Sudafed but I just did not feel comfortable. I still feel movements but they do seem to be deceased but if I stress about it too much I get anxiety so I have to let myself breath and realize that she is ok and every movement I do feel I relax a little more.
Tami wife and mom to 2 boys Noah and Cohen and baby number 3 a girl on the way at the end of June.Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 10:38pm
Katie, last time I was sick with an awful cold and sinus infection I also noticed decreased movement and was a little worried for awhile there. The NP told me that often, when we get sick our babies get a version of it too. When we feel extra tired and sluggish, they may feel the same way. So that was her theory on why there was decreased movement with baby during illness. She said during the 6th month she wants me to do kick counts once each day. Until then.... baby's movements may vary. I did try drinking something sweet and noticed a couple movements from Nick a bit later, after not feeling him for like two whole days. So I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal. :-) I hope you and baby feel better soon!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 9:10am
Thanks ladies, it makes sense if I am feeling tired and not so good, he probably is too! I'm thinking that this is just my allergies acting up this time. Our weather is changing yet again and we are getting warmer here. So I have really increased my fluid intake and I have been taking Sudafed when I absolutely have to, like at night so I can sleep. He is still moving sporadically throughout the day, kicks are just not as hard as they have been lately.