Ear Tubes?

iVillage Member
Ear Tubes?
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 5:34pm

Anyone have any experience with thier children needing tubes placed in their ears?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: djsmum05
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 3:43pm
My dd got frequent ear infections for a while last year and they were going to put the tubes in. I decided against it and they eventually became less frequent. I heard too many stories about them falling out, causing hearing loss, etc or not being successful so I decided not to bother. She still gets them every once in a while but not as bad as before. They might just grow out of it. My advice would be to visit the ENT doc and hear them out about the procedure and te risks and benefits and then decide.
baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-20-2012 - 11:40am

I'm glad to hear that it is successful for the most part.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 10:39am

My youngest daughter who is almost 3 now had to get tubes and it has helped so much. She hasn't had a single infection since the tubes. It was hard going thru with it as I didn't know what to expect at the surgery center but it went amazingly well and I would feel comfortable doing it again with my baby boy if he has infections.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 9:52pm

It is a very fast proceedure.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 8:13pm
Both of my kids had tubes that were incredibly successful. My first had them put in at about 16 months old, and they stayed in for a little over a year. During that time we had no infections, and since then we've only had one infection!! (he is now almost 4). They were a blessing for us, b/c with each infection he wouldn't sleep well, and he'd have to stay out of daycare for a day (fever). He used to get an infection with EVERY new tooth that came in. With my 2nd, when he got his 4th set of double ear infections, I ignored the pediatrician and took him to the ENT to get tubes in. I didn't want to go through the same thing again when the solution was so easy. He never got another infection and now he has no tubes in (he's almost 2 1/2) and still doesn't get infections (even when his 2 yr molars came in). So for us NO complications, NO problems, and they were a huge success. The scariest thing is watching your kid get put to sleep, but the recovery for tubes is non-existent. we avoided the bath for one night (the doc told us we didn't even have to do that though), and kept them on tylenol for 24 hours just in case...but with neither kid was there any recovery other then being groggy right after surgery. I was still nursing my 2nd when he had surgery, so right after, i just hooked him up and he never even cried. GL

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-17-2012 - 6:29pm
I have had a few nieces and nephews get them put in because of frequent ear infections. They have really helped a lot. They still get an occasional ear infection, but no where near as frequent as before.