Heartburn tips??

iVillage Member
Heartburn tips??
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:17am

I have been having the worst heartburn a lot lately. I never even had it before I got pregnant and some days it seems like I have it all day and night. I have been taking Tums, but if they help at all it's only for a half hour or so. Anybody have any suggestions for other ways to help avoid or get rid of heartburn?

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 11:24am

I'm just like you and only get heartburn when I'm pregnant. It's terrible and I hate to say it but it gets worse the further along we get. I would ask your Dr. for sure but I basically eat Tums all day. I try and avoid foods that make it worse. My last pregnancy anything with tomatoes would give me bad heartburn. Pizza, spaghetti, etc. For some reason broccoli always made it bad. Here are the medicines for heartburn my OBGYN office approves for me:

Maalox

Mylanta

Tums

Zantac

Tagamet (I've never even heard of)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 12:02pm
Maalox is godsend!!
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 4:27pm
I broke out the list of meds my doc gave me that are safe and was happy to see some more options. I went and got some Pepcid AC and am hoping it will give me some relief.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 7:32pm
Hey, i was just going to post this as well. Today the h/b has gotten terrible and TUMS is not helping. I'll be going to the store after my OB appt tomorrow to get some more serious relief. In the meantime, I did some reading on the Internet and other than the obvious (sleeping with extra pillows to be on an incline, TUMS, avoid foods that get you sick, etc.) But today I tried a new one, chew sugarless gum. It has something to do with producing more saliva to neutralize the acid? It seems to be helping..or at least my jaw is getting sore

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 9:14am
Yeah I have had a few people tell me about the gum, I haven't tried it yet though, it would help during the day, but my heartburn gets really bad at night and I find it hard to sleep elevated. So I took one Pepcid AC yesterday around 4:30pm, about an hour before I had dinner, and no heartburn since. I am amazed because I have been dealing with it non-stop for the past few weeks. It never came back at bedtime either, which was such a relief. It was getting so bad at night that sometimes I was afraid to cough because I was afraid I was going to throw up too because it felt like the acid was right there. I think I am going to stick with taking the one Pepcid AC a day and see if that keeps the heartburn away.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 9:50am
I wish I read this yesterday. I've had it at night for a few weeks but it was nothing a tums wouldn't fix. But last night??? Ugh. Nope. I thought I was going to throw up a few times too. I might have to go to the store and get some pepcid ac for tonight.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 9:09pm

I have one my cousin swears by.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 12:42am
ahhh I know what you mean heartburn and pregnancy are rough. I had it with my second child too it was terrible. Also it confirmed that its a myth about heartburn and your child having a lot of hair my son came out bald as can be no eyelashes or eyebrows either. I for sure thought he would have a ton of hair since my heartburn was so bad but nope he didn't. Maybe this little girl will be different a full head of hair like me would be amazing. :-)
Tami wife and mom to 2 boys Noah and Cohen and baby number 3 a girl on the way at the end of June.Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 4:48pm
This week I started getting acid reflux (is that the same as heartburn?) like crazy. Last night it was so bad I had to get out of bed and throw up. I hadn't thrown up in a few weeks, I thought that stage was over.

I'm already taking a zantac before breakfast and a zantac before supper. is it safe to mix things like tums, maalox with the zantac? When is the best time to take them? Because of the zantac I don't get the burning associated with acid reflux, but it constantly feels like food is trying to come back up. It's so gross and uncomfortable :(
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 5:41pm
Yeah its fine to take Tums with Zantac, but you shouldn't be taking more than 6 Tums a day. If you find yourself needing more than that, especially with the Zantac, then you need to tell your doctor and they may be able to prescribe you something else that will work better for you. I can't take a bunch of Tums because I am already prone to kidney stones and all the added calcium would make it more likely for me to get them. So thankfully the Pepcid AC is working for the most part for me and I only have to take a Tums every once in awhile.