Hospital bags?

iVillage Member
Hospital bags?
Sun, 03-04-2012 - 11:01am
Btdt that moms I thought we could share what our must haves were for our bags, when we got them all packed and ready were for some of the first time moms. I know a lot of you are very busy moms and some like to plan ahead =]

BTDT moms, what did you not bring the first time that you will make sure to have this time?
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-04-2012 - 11:37am
Great post! I packed mine around 34 weeks because I felt like I was getting close. And good thing because he was born at 35.5 weeks! This was my first. With my second I had it packed around the same time probably- she was born at 39 weeks.
I packed clothes for me for the hospital- no way was I going to spend 3 days in a Johnny! So i brought pjs and nursing tops. I brought an outfit to wear home, an outfit for baby, my camera, extra memory card and batteries, cell phone and charger, and a toiletries bag. Call me vain but I wanted makeup haha. I didn't want a hundred pics of me an a beautiful new baby where I look absolutely awful! So yes I brought basic makeup essentials just to feel better :) I also brought shampoo, conditioner, soap, and a razor.
First time moms- im telling you- you are goin to take one look at your body and probably cry bc it looks so weird so having basic stuff like shampoo and a razor will help you feel a little better. And your body WILL go back but it certainly helps to have nice shaved legs while you are bleeding profusely kno a large diaper filled with ice packs haha!

The one thing I didn't bring the first time but made sure to the second time is snacks!! You can't eat during labor but when you are done you will be hungry! And if you give birth in the middle of the night, the hospital kitchen is closed and all there is is saltine crackers and ginger ale to hold you til morning. And let me tell you- you will be famished from all the exertions of labor and saltines don't cut it!! Bring some bottled water or juice boxes or kool aid mix to mix with water, bring granola bars, cereal, any kind of packable snack!

Oh and you may want to consider a backup outfit for baby in case he or she poops the minute you get them dressed and it goes all over that one nice outfit you had!! :)
And bring pads so you don't have to wear the enormous ones the hospital provides. :)
baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-04-2012 - 3:39pm

For me, I like to bring a nightgown (or two!) to change into once I no longer have an IV, robe, slippers (a necessity), of course my own personal care items, nursing bra and pads, a comfy outfit to wear home.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-04-2012 - 3:55pm

I think you covered it! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-04-2012 - 4:16pm
Oh I second the Always Infiniti. I don't normally use pads either, but when I had a miscarriage I had another brand first and hated them, they were huge and bulky, and then bought these and they are wonderful. I will definitely be stocking up on these for postpartum.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 1:47am
I am definitely going to bring my ipod... it is the only thing besides sitting in the hot bathtub that got me through my labor. Seriously helped. Also I always bring my own pads - they are SO much better than the hospital ones that feel like a diaper lol. I also love having my nursing pillow with me, if I can get it back from my friend I will bring that as well. And of course, the camera. I am huge on pictures and video. ;-)

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 2:27pm
You know what's funny ladies? I actually prefer the bigger bulky pads till the bleeding calms down a bit! Haha im always paranoid bout leaking! And that's the last thing I want!
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 4:28pm
I totally agree...our hospital freezes them too so they feel like Heaven when you're all sore. Two of the hospitals I delivered at actually have snack stations for moms who deliver at random hours...they had little ice cream cups, fruit, drinks, and simple sandwiches like PB&J, ham and cheese, etc. Thank God for those because I was HUNGRY. So, after three kids, my bag looks like this:

three nursing tanks, pads
two hoodies in case its cold (I try to get nice ones so I don't feel all frumpy, plus they are easy to unzip for nursing)
2 pairs BLACK yoga pants (so if I bleed, no one can see it)
makeup (I learned after my first two, I felt MUCH better about myself and looking at the post-birth pictures if I made some sort of effort to look nice)
haircare stuff (I have super crazy hair that I straighten every day. You will want your usual stuff once the chaos of the birth part is over).
Ipod
camera/charger
2 outfits for the baby. I use the hospitals stuff until its almost time to go home b/c they spit up and cough up fluids for the first day or so. Sometimes the fluid has a little bit of blood...let the baby get that on the hospital clothes, not your cute little outfit that can't be washed).
baby blanket (you can use it as the background for their newborn picture)
baby wipes (the hospital only provides gauze, and let me tell you...baby's first poops are very sticky and HARD to get off with a piece of gauze)
Any meds you are taking for heartburn/nausea/etc (Obviously you have to let your nurse know you have them, but it beats paying $10 per pill for the same stuff. I remember the heartburn being one of the worst parts of labor for me, and since I'd left my meds at home, they gave me a $40 dose of the same thing via IV...lame!)

I try to use everything they give me, because once its in your room, they're going to have to throw it out when you leave. Don't be afraid to ask for extra diapers, formula bottles (I breastfeed, but they are good to have on hand if/when you use formula), your free diaper bag, extra pads, and chux pads (those big blue pads they use in the hospital to absorb fluids....I put them under my sheets at home in case I bleed or leak milk).

And I think thats it!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 9:18pm
Who would have thought and ice pack in your pants would feel like heaven =]
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 9:48pm

Haha that is so funny Cheyenne!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2012 - 11:26pm
The chux pads are awesome... and my hospital provides wipes and diapers but I always bring some anyways. I mean.... on the five minute drive home my baby could have a blowout. You never know. ;-)

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

Pages