I feel my belly really hard and tight at times.

iVillage Member
I feel my belly really hard and tight at times.
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 9:37am

And it is kind of painful, sometimes I even feel like im having some contractions... I went to get monitored the other day at the hospital but they said it's Braxton Hicks, but the "hard and tight" feeling on my belly scares me. Anyone else feeling this or is it just me? Oh! sorry, one more question: how often do you feel the baby move at this stage? a lot? or sometimes? Thanks for the answers!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 10:09am
Your belly will get hard and tight during Braxton Hicks contractions. That is just the muscles of your uterus tightening as they contract. So don't be scared or worried about that. Especially if your doctors told you that is what you are experiencing. If you are still worried it might be something else check out this website, it tells you about the difference between Braxton Hicks and real labor contractions. http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/true-false-labor

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and I feel the baby move every day. Some days he is a lot more active than others, and I will feel him move a few times every hour or so. But then other days I only feel him move for a little while in the morning and a little while at night. They sleep about 12-14 hours a day right now, so don't be too concerned if you are not feeling movement all day long.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 11:26am

Thank you veeery much I feel better now!! :smileyhappy:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 12:13pm
No problem! ;)
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 3:29pm

I'll echo what the pp said - I do feel my belly get hard and tight about 3 times a day. I spoke with my doctor about it - while it is Braxton Hicks for me, if more than 5 in an hour, and/or painful and some other symptoms, it can be signs of preterm labor. So I pay close attention when my belly tightens and I try to make sure that I remain super hydrated.

I feel my baby move every day. She usually moves a little in the morning, very sporadically and briefly during the day (sometimes not at all). Almost every night though, she moves quite a bit when I'm laying in bed.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 7:04pm
Yep- Braxton hicks! I have always had them early with all my pregnancies- they start around the same time I feel baby move like 17-18 weeks. I actually had them before I felt baby move this time because I have an anterior placenta so I didn't feel her until 21 weeks! But I get the bh's all the time now and sometimes they can be a little uncomfortable. Trust me if it were real labor or preterm labor- you would know it! It hurts wayyyyyy more! There will be no doubt in your mind once you do go into real labor.
baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 9:15pm
That's awesome you went to your dr. And they said they're BH:) better safe than sorry!! My high risk ob said all women will have contractions starting around halfway thru pregnancy, I guess the question is if they cause cervical change. Not to worry you, but with dd I went to a routine appt at 32 weeks and mentioned to my ob I was having slight menstral-like cramping so she checked me and I was dilated 1cm. Was sent to L&D and was having contractions but I wasn't even noticing them! This time I'm really feeling them and my high risk ob said its a cause for concern due to my short cervix. It's always good to be aware and ask questions whenever you're concerned- good for you! And as mentioned before stay well hydrated and also empty your bladder often and take it easy when you can:) As far as movement, one thing you could try if you're concerned is eating something or drinking juice and that will usually wake them up;).
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-17-2012 - 2:40am
I agree. Glad you got checked and made doc aware of them. However seems like Katie did a great job at answering your questions. Glad you feel better about things. =]
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-17-2012 - 11:29am
I agree with PPs, it sounds like a normal part of BH. I would not worry about it. At this point in your pregnancy I would not go more than a couple days without feeling your baby. If you don't feel baby moving for a couple days or more you might want to talk to your doc. My son is very active and I feel him every few hours. :-)

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your