penta screen positive for downs syndrome

iVillage Member
penta screen positive for downs syndrome
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 10:49am

I'm freaking out here. My NP called yesterday with the lab results from my 16 wk penta screen. Apparently I'm at 1/10 risk of having a downs syndrome baby. I'm 37 yrs old and pg with baby #2. No issues at all with baby #1 (she is 6 yrs old now). For my age alone I'm considered at risk, 1/180 chance. But mine is 1/10!!!!!!!!

that is a high number. I am going next week for a higher level US and another lab possibly (that depends on the US).

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 11:25am
I am so sorry hun. I always refused the genetic screenin test because of my age(19) so I have no experience in this. However I do know a lady who was told all along she was going to have a downs baby and the weeks before he was born found out it had just been a shadow on the ultrasounds. I will be praying for you.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 11:41am
I also refused screenings, but only because of my age and because the nurse kept stressing to me that even if the test came back positive there was no guarantee the baby would actually have the disorder, and that there are a LOT of false positives. I didn't want to set myself up to be worried for no reason, and even if there was reason to worry, I couldn't do anything about it anyway and just had to deal with what God gave me. So try to remain positive and relax. I know, easier said than done. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 11:59am

We JUST had our scare and thankfully the test was WRONGish!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 12:40pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. I also refused the tests because I wouldn't terminate for Down Syndrome and I have heard way too many false positive stories.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 1:07pm
I also said no to the testing, mostly because of my age. I hope your next US goes well and that you get good news! I agree with the others, there are a lot of false positives. There are also varying degrees of Down Syndrome, to highly dependent to highly functional. I'll be thinking of you!
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-11-2012 - 10:30pm

I've never had genetic testing done, but I tend to be one of those people who always considers the worst (I know, it soudns morbid, but I can't help it). And from the moment I found out I was pregnant with my first I started panicking about him being born with 2 heads, or some deadly disease, or a severe disability. But in the end, although we all pray for healthy babies, would you love your baby any less becuase of the potential disability? Absolutely not. Unless the child faces a deadly illness early in life (just knew someone who's baby tested positive for some condition that would kill it by 3 mos old latest, so they decided to terminate the pregnancy) then there is no point in worrying yourself.

baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-12-2012 - 7:21pm
Yes, I went through this with my second pregnancy. I had a 1/10 chance that my daughter had Trisomy 18. It was a very difficult decision, but I decided to have an amnio to know for sure. She did not have it, and is a beautiful and perfect 5 year old little girl. It was an awful experience thinking for those days that I could lose my baby, but everything turned out fine. I just wanted you to know of a real-life "false positive."
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 11:16pm

Don't worry about a thing!

Happy mom of Anthony born 08/21/08

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2012 - 12:31am
I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. That is such a challenging situation. I have never had that result myself but Bella tested positive for SEVERAL birth defects, some of which were life-threatening. It was a very scary time for me. But when the time for my high-level 3D/4D ultrasound came, I was greatly relieved to find out that she was for the most part a normal little baby. :-) The shape of her head was "all wrong" and for a long time it looked as though I may have a baby with Down's Syndrome, due to ultrasound results alone. She is perfectly healthy, just has a problem with her legs and hips still. But she will outgrow it eventually. :-) It seemed all my worrying was for nothing. However, I remember what it was like to worry and wonder and face all the fears. I hope your fears are brought to rest soon! I will be praying for you. (((Hugs)))

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2012 - 11:49am

Well, I had my high level u/s yesterday looking for markers. I am very happy to report that the dr found ZERO markers of down's syndrome. That happy news was tempered with the facts that the u/s is not the most reliable form of screening either (50-60%) accurate. But, with absolutely zero markers I was relieved...

We go back in 4 weeks for another to focus on the heart then a fetal echocardiogram at 5 weeks to look at

Pages