Question about weight gain...

iVillage Member
Question about weight gain...
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 11:11am

So I am curious because this is my first baby and I'm a little unsure if I should be concerned at all or not. I'm 17 weeks and 2 days, and still have not really gained any weight. My pre-pregnancy weight was 145. I maintained that until I was about 14 weeks and, during my 14th week I was really sick throwing up all the time, and not able to eat or drink anything but water and some pretzels. I ended up going down to 138 in a matter of two or three days. I have since gained a couple pounds and I am back up to 140, but holding steady there, even though I can and am eating a lot more now and feeling much better. I'm still not really showing yet either, there is a little bump, but it is so small most people do not even notice it. So I guess my question is just that is this normal? My main concern is just wanting to make sure myself and the baby are healthy and that the baby is developing normally, because I know most resources online and doctors say once you are in your second trimester you should be gaining about a pound a week.

My doctor did not seem too concerned about it at my last appointment a couple weeks ago. She did comment that I had lost weight, but not that I needed to gain yet or anything. So I am just waiting until my next appointment and ultrasound in a couple weeks to ask her about this and see if there is anything I should be doing.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 12:08pm
I've lost 9 lbs so far. I was down 10 but I gained one back. I'm still so sick. :/ no advice , just know I'm with u
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 12:17pm
Have you tried ginger root capsules at all? When I was really sick if I took one in the morning and then right before I ate dinner I was able to eat and keep stuff down. Luckily I am past all that now and eating normally again. Hope you feel better soon too!
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 12:40pm

I was the same way with my first pregnancy, but I started packing on the pounds after 20 weeks, and my daughter ended up weighing seven pounds.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 12:51pm
With my first I started at 117 and was 134 when I got to the hospital at 39 weeks. I was always kind of concerned but my doctor never said a thing. Baby always was right on track and was perfectly healthy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 7:57pm

It all depends on your height and weight prior to pregnancy, plus every woman gains weight differently in pregnancy. I was slightly underweight before I got pregnant, ranging from 112-115 and I'm 5'7.

I'm 18 and 1/2 weeks and I've gained about 8 pounds in the last 7 weeks. Now it's steadied again and I'm at 125.

My breasts are significantly larger, I'm definitely carrying a little more in my hips, though my stomach is still pretty small. My doctor said that he pays attention to the weight gain in the second and third trimester. I only gained about 2 pounds in the first 12 weeks.

If your doctor is not concerned, and the baby is measuring ok, then I wouldn't be concerned. I imagine at some point you will simply have to gain weight but maybe it will just happen later?

I know women who gained 15 pounds in the first 12 weeks and then pretty much just maintained that, and then others who gained throughout, etc. It's so different for everyone.

As long as you're eating regularly and keeping hydrated, I think you're doing everything you can!

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 8:59pm
I have not gained another either (and I lost 5 as well in teh first trimester). I'm not concerned. This is my 3rd, and the slower the weight comes on at this point the better (unless you are underweight/normal weight and need to gain weight). For me, I am 143 and 5 foot 2, so i'm "overweight". I know at the end of the second trimester I'll start gaining a lb a week, and in teh 3rd I'll gain more some weeks. So I don't worry

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2012 - 9:58pm
A lot of women lose weight in the beginning of their pregnancies. If your doc is not worried about it, then you shouldn't either. :-) We each gain weight differently and you might be one of those ladies who is slow to gain. Hang in there, you will start to put those pounds on!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 10:22am
Thanks ladies, I feel better now!
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 2:56pm
Yeah, your doc will definitely let you know if there is any cause for concern about your weight, one way or the other. And as for not showing yet, I didn't take my first "belly shot" until after my U/S at 20 weeks w/ my DD and I was JUST barely starting to show. Most people start showing much earlier w/ subsequent pregnancies, but that first one takes awhile. So no reason for concern there either. Your body will do everything it needs to :-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 11:09pm
With my first I started at 115 and lost 10 lbs before I gained anything. With my second, I started at 112 and lost 2 lbs before I gained anything. With this one I started at 114 and so far I have only gained 1 lb. With both my others I ended up above 140 so I'm not worried and you shouldn't worry yet! You'll gain the weight! :)
baby