Teething Cleaning at the Dentist

iVillage Member
Teething Cleaning at the Dentist
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 11:21am

Has anyone had their teeth cleaned while pregnant?

My gums bleed a significant amount more now that I'm pregnant. I'm due for a cleaning in April but I'm wondering if I should hold off until the baby is born? I'm also thinking about all those x-ray machines in there, but I know I'm being paranoid.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 11:37am
I have had my teeth cleaned and go again in April. My gums did bleed a little more, but they told me this was normal for being pregnant. It is perfectly fine to get them cleaned while pregnant and you should get it done while pregnant to avoid problems down the road. Being pregnant can wreck havoc on your teeth. The only thing they won't do until after I have the baby is xrays, which s no big deal, you only have to have them done once a year anyway. But you are perfectly safe being in the office where xray machines are being used in other rooms.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 11:41am

Oh yes. I'm pretty anal about my teeth but my Dentist says its actually really good to get your teeth cleaned while pregnant. But, they won't do x-rays. Just clean.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 12:30pm
I've had to get cavities filled twice this pregnancy. Both my dr and dentist said there is nothing to worry about as long as I don't get laughing gas. So cleaning should be totally fine. But let me tell you, smelling them grind my teeth during the first trimester was less than pleasant.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 2:14pm

I just had my teeth cleaned last month (after I was past the first trimester nausea for the most part)...even though they won't do x-rays, it is still good to stay on top of all of the dental stuff anyhow.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 6:01pm

Ok, thanks everyone. I already have my appointment for April!

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 6:14pm

I had mine cleaned when I was about 7 weeks pregnant. I obviously told the dentist that I was pregnant and we did not do any x-rays. I have not experienced any problems. But it's totally up to whatever you are comfortable with. It's not like going without a cleaning will hurt.

*~*Taryn

DH (26) and I (25) have been married since May 15, 2009 and TTC baby #1 since