22 Week US and Echo Cardiogram
Find a Conversation
|Thu, 03-22-2012 - 2:38pm|
Ok so today I went in for my follow up ultrasound and Echo. The ultrasound showed that I have low amniotic fluid and still some problems with baby's heart. Cervix is still at 2.9 and holding. Yay! (This means I do not have to go on meds, be hospitalized, get a cerclage, etc. At least for now.)
Echo showed multiple heart defects. In layman's terms the baby has only one working heart valve, and it has a leak in it. They believe the leak will heal itself but it is very unllikely that another valve will develop properly at this point. The severity of this imbalance is so bad that the doctor gave me a less than 1% chance that Nick would survive the pregnancy or live for long after birth if he goes full term. He recommended termination and told me it must be done by 25 weeks. I am 22 today.
I refused termination, and refused an amnio or any other invasive or genetic testing that they believe might sway me to terminate. Babies with CHDs are likely to have other issues such as Down's syndrome, etc which is why they recommend further testing. Again, I refused. Amnios can be dangerous and Nicholas is already fighting enough odds.
I have decided that I will NOT see another doctor until I am 25 weeks so that the possibility of terminating is out of the question and the doctors will stop recommending it.