22 Week US and Echo Cardiogram

iVillage Member
22 Week US and Echo Cardiogram
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 2:38pm

Ok so today I went in for my follow up ultrasound and Echo. The ultrasound showed that I have low amniotic fluid and still some problems with baby's heart. Cervix is still at 2.9 and holding. Yay! (This means I do not have to go on meds, be hospitalized, get a cerclage, etc. At least for now.)

Echo showed multiple heart defects. In layman's terms the baby has only one working heart valve, and it has a leak in it. They believe the leak will heal itself but it is very unllikely that another valve will develop properly at this point. The severity of this imbalance is so bad that the doctor gave me a less than 1% chance that Nick would survive the pregnancy or live for long after birth if he goes full term. He recommended termination and told me it must be done by 25 weeks. I am 22 today.

I refused termination, and refused an amnio or any other invasive or genetic testing that they believe might sway me to terminate. Babies with CHDs are likely to have other issues such as Down's syndrome, etc which is why they recommend further testing. Again, I refused. Amnios can be dangerous and Nicholas is already fighting enough odds.

I have decided that I will NOT see another doctor until I am 25 weeks so that the possibility of terminating is out of the question and the doctors will stop recommending it.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 2:54pm
I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I will pray for a miracle

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 3:00pm

I am so sorry you got such bad news. If I were in your position I would feel the same way, there would be no way I could terminate, especially at this point. I would rather pray and take my chances. I don't blame you for not wanting to see anyone else until after 25 weeks either, doctors can be so pushy, and down right rude and hateful sometimes, even after you have made yourself perfectly clear on what you will and will not do. Sometimes it makes you wonder if they are even human. You and Baby Nick will be in my prayers, miracles happen every day and I will be praying like none other that you get one of these miracles! *Hugs*

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 3:08pm
Thinking of you all. I remember getting news similar to that with Natalie and its completely devastating .
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 4:51pm
I am so sorry to hear the news. I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. Sending lots of positive thoughts for continued health and strength.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 7:32pm
It's hard, ladies. It is really, REALLY hard. But I keep telling myself that all the heartbreak is worth it even if I can only hold my baby in my arms once. I might not be real active on the board while I deal with this the next couple weeks, but I will still be here keeping up with all of you.

Make your

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 8:01pm
Take care of yourself hon!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 9:28pm
If you need someone to talk to Mandie please feel free to pm me.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 3:25pm
Thanks ladies! I am just trying to stay as positive as I can. Adding more stress can't help this baby so I had better keep it together!

Make your

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 8:21pm

Oh, Amanda,

I am so sorry.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-24-2012 - 3:20pm
Mandie I'm so sorry you got such terrible news from the dr. I can't imagine what you're going through but I know I would want to wait and take my chances too. You've been through so much so far in your pregnancy I really hope you get your miracle and a happy ending:) Hang in there and keep us posted!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pages