26 week appointment - Contractions scare

iVillage Member
26 week appointment - Contractions scare
Sun, 04-01-2012 - 5:28pm

I got checked out last Wednesday. I've been having a lot of braxton hicks contractions, that have been increasing every week, so my doctor did a test where they swab a q-tip on the cervix and test it. I think it's called the fetal fibronectin test? He told me and I forgot.

He also examined my cervix and I had an intravaginal sonogram done. Both the exam and sonogram showed that the cervix is doing well, so I'm hoping the swab comes back ok too.

He wants to see me again in 2 weeks to do another sonogram of my cervix. He was not happy with the amount of contractions I'm having, but he said it's possible that this is just how I'll be for the rest of the pregnancy, so to not panic just yet.

I live in fear of bedrest, especially because I have to work, so I am praying that everything stays ok. I have been sick with a bad cold this weekend, so I have been in bed the whole time anyway. It's never boring with me.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 11:55am

thinking of you!! keep us posted!

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-03-2012 - 8:07pm

Thanks for the info - I certainly hope my insurance covers this test. I didn't even think to ask when the doctor said he wanted to do it. The results weren't in as of yesterday, so I'm still waiting. The contractions have lessened though, which is always good.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-03-2012 - 3:02pm

Praying for the FFN to come back well...

But just in case it doesn't, know that it is something like 90% effective IF if is NEGATIVE ONLY.

If it comes back positive, it is only 15% effective!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-03-2012 - 12:03am
Awww so sorry you are going through this! It is already a difficult time for you I know. (((Hugs))) Hang in there and KUP! I hope the test comes back good. Braxton Hicks can be really uncomfortable, but I try to tell myself that the more of those I have the easier my true labor will be!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-01-2012 - 10:44pm
Glad tests came back good. Hope the swab does as well. I had horrible contractions for the last month and a half with Carsyn that put me on bed rest because they did not want me to start dilating. Fingers crossed
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-01-2012 - 6:19pm
I'm glad your exam and sonogram came back okay, I'm sure your swab will too! Try to take it easy and let us know how you are doing.