39.5 Week Appt - Very Unhappy!

iVillage Member
39.5 Week Appt - Very Unhappy!
Tue, 07-24-2012 - 7:30pm
I had my 39.5w appt today and my dr. stripped my membranes without my consent! I am dumbfounded that she would do that. There has been absolutely no discussion of it in recent weeks and there was no discussion today before she did it. She was doing a check and cavalierly announced she had just stripped them! It was very painful (probably because I was not prepared). I told her I did not necessarily want that done and asked her why she did it. She said just to keep things moving. Well, I was 70% effaced (50% last week) and 1cm dilated ("fingertip" last week), and still "a bit firm". That to me sounds like progress. Baby is not measuring oversize, my health is fine... I just don't see the reason for an induction procedure of any type at this stage. I feel very violated, and angry that my dr. did not give me an opportunity to decide for myself if, based upon the information available, I wanted to have this procedure done.

Sorry if this is rambling, I am just very upset about the violation of trust I had with my dr. I guess the moral of the story is, tell your doctor you want the opportunity to consent to any procedure before it is done! :smileysad:

I will have another appt Friday at 40w1d at which time cervadil may be discussed. Off to do my research!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 1:33pm
wow, what NERVE. i can't believe that the doc did that.

December Gumdrop 

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 4:12pm
Thanks for your support, ladies. Honestly, I spent all day and night yesterday anxious and worrying about going into labor, which I have NOT been throughout the whole pregnancy. I definitely do not want to go into the process scared and fearful, which is exactly what this incident has incited in me. Now I'm terrified that she will do something like cut an epi without my consent or any number of things during labor. Maybe I'm overreacting but I just feel incredibly violated.

It didn't help that I started spotting last night (thankfully had never experienced that at all during this pg, so to see it at this point upset me) and began losing my mucus plug. :smileysad: I trust my body and I hope that if I am ready, things will progress as they should and if I am
not ready, things will adjust accordingly.

I am also going to complete my birth plan with DH today do we can share it with the dr in advance on Friday. I was debating whether it would be necessary or not since I don't feel like I desire anything too terribly out of the norm, but now I know I explicitly need to state my requirendnt for my or DH consent if I am incapable on all procedures. Does anyone have any birth plan tips or suggestions?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 9:40pm
Definitely share your plan! Especially if you want to avoid an episiotomy being done without your permission. I did not want one either but never brought it up when I was in labor and the doctor who delivered my son (not my doctor because she was in surgery) did one without telling me or asking, I was kind of upset he did not even tell me he was doing it, even though in my situation I did truly need one.